Skip to main content

Oh, There's The Cross Again!

At the risk of glib bitterness, I knew there was too much happiness the last couple of months. We know how this goes. There must be a holy way of waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you find it, let me know.

I've taken joy in the cross before, so I'd have to suppose I will again. Not right now. It seems like a sick joke. Death is horrific, wrong, and sad, but there are definitely sorrows worse than death. When our loved ones die, most times, they don't mean to leave. Death is a thing that snatches us, sometimes without warning. This thing is different. What do you do when someone you love says, "I don't want to be close to you anymore"? There is no way to feel anything other than broken, or defective. We men, we want to fix it. What should I change? Did I somehow become a pale imitation of myself?

It seems like what I have given is lost, never to return. This is where our heroic notions of giving without expecting anything in return seem to die. It's not that I wouldn't do it all again; it's just that part of me went in the distance. Who am I without this part of myself?

If I don't say I feel abandoned and cast aside, I do not truly name my sorrow. If Christ had not been abandoned, I would have given up already. There is a sense in which saying, "We should unite our sufferings with the sufferings of Christ" can be just claptrap that we say to ourselves, and to each other. Yet there is a way in which it is not, and I'll try to explain.

When I was about to receive Holy Communion after the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, I said to Jesus, "All that I have is sorrow." He took it as if to say, "It is enough." I didn't have to take it far, for Jesus was waiting for me in my sorrow! I don't pretend to understand, but Jesus was waiting. He said, "I will never leave you, or forsake you." I knew he told the truth. I cried freely, as if he had given me a permission I could not give myself. I don't understand why this has happened. I cannot make sense of the explanations of my supposed failures. I still wait for some healing and purpose that may never come.

I live, but I do not enjoy. My favorite chicken, or the triumph of my beloved baseball Cardinals, are but the bare signs of things I used to enjoy. My world right now is in black and gray. All the color has gone elsewhere.

I don't have a profundity to wrap like a bow around these words. But I can say this: Better to live and to die than to never have lived. Or loved and lost. Whichever you prefer. I somehow owe it to the memory of my earlier living self to endure, and to persist. I do not understand, but I believe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...