Skip to main content

As We Forgive Our Trespassers

I'm the type of foolish man who thought forgiveness is easy. I don't have any enemies; I'm at least somewhat of an easygoing guy [The truth is, you're a control freak, who's good at convincing people that you're easygoing.--ed.].

And then, it hits. People wiser than me advised I wait a couple months, maybe I can discern some good in what was said. It's been 4. It's probably good I'm a cripple; I probably would have hit him in the throat by now, and only later felt bad about it.

I'm opening up about it here, because I'm honestly tired of trying to talk about it with people who are like me: Good Christians, uncomfortable with anger, obedient to authority, and ever so thankful to God for our many gifts.

Oh, yeah, the guy's a priest.

Yes, if you're wondering, I kind of hate myself right now. What good Catholic wouldn't? And this is not someone I met randomly one time at Our Lady of the Godless Suburbs parish for a sacramental check-up. We know each other, OK? I'd have used the word, "friends". Random people and their big mouths may annoy us; it's our friends and loved ones who can truly hurt us.

Actually, another friend said I was entirely too obedient to authority, in that this journey began with me simply taking all the words to heart, as though they were true. Hey man, that's me. If a priest says, "This is how it is," who am I to argue?

I have been able to pray, and it's not like I wish him true ill; Pete's sake, where would we be, without our priests? I've kind of imagined that he was Paul, and I was Barnabas. Only--and this is the part that rankles--if Barnabas was Corky from "Thirtysomething".

People always tell me I'm full of joy and optimism. I don't know, maybe I am. But I get a whiff that you're trying to patronize me, or brush me to the side, hoo boy. Don't be in the same place at the same time.

And disability complicates everything. I want to believe that nothing in this unfortunate conversation had anything to do with mine, but I don't live in that world of luxury. The naivete of blissful ignorance.

I was just trying to be a man, talking to another man. And then I felt like a three-year-old, rebuked for trying to sit in the big-boy chair with the adults at Christmas dinner. So, yeah, I'm not happy.

Lord, have mercy! There's nothing worse than the thought of going to Hell on a technicality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...