Skip to main content

I Need Your Help

I don't think "ABs" could really understand what it actually means for me to ask you for help. At the completely practical level, it might mean, "This needs to happen urgently, and you're here." But let's say it's something non-urgent, or even something I could do, if not pressed for time. It means, "I value you, and trust you with something I'm self-conscious or anxious about." It means I want to connect with you, to be served by you. Of course, I want to serve you and others. But it's not easy to accept help. I think people mistakenly assume that if you have some severe disability, you find it easy to acknowledge your limitations, and ask for help. That's not true at all. Men don't ask for directions, and I don't like asking for help. But if I do, you ought to know that it indicates for me a high level of trust, even affection.

I think it's entirely possible that people get caught up in imagining what they would do, if they were me. But the psychology of a particular challenge or limitation is never exactly the same from person to person. You may have unfair able-bodied expectations you don't even realize.

"It's not about your disability" but it really is, and I know it, even if you don't. Disability adds an extra layer of pressure to any sort of inter-abled relationship, and if you don't talk about it, complete disaster and hurt is a live possibility.

As I've written before, I don't even like the idea of being an activist. I have a fundamentally conservative soul, even if some people in my life don't believe that. However, I've said, "Wow, they really don't get it, do they?" so many times that apparently, I'll be spending the rest of my life elaborating on what "it" is. So be it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...