Skip to main content

Touched

I don't like to start out anything I write with statements like, "You can't possibly understand," but you can't possibly understand. I'm a normal guy; I like stereotypical guy things. I think Tom Brady is awesome. I love his hair. I hope he never retires. I will watch any sport. I like meat; I have to make myself eat a vegetable.

Then again, I'm a cripple.

The thing you'll never understand is that it's really hard to believe your body has a goodness when no one except your helpers and your mom touches it, at least for long stretches of time. Sure, it's gotten better. But I got asked by a buddy in college what scared me the most about the women I knew in college. I didn't even hesitate: I don't like it when they touch me. I don't understand it.

Dating, romance, and sex are hard enough when you're young and scared. Let's add being different to the equation. I felt like an alien from another planet.

As much as I was anxious about physical touch, I wanted it. It's a human thing. Friendship, business, family, it's all there. Most people have a ton of it, even weirdos who say, "I'm not a hugger." Like what planet are those people from? Anyway, most people get more than they want, like the Israelites and the quail, after they got sick of manna in the desert.

Not me. Not us.

My first romantic encounter almost had to be a woman with a disability. Even if I never wanted to limit myself. Most of us don't, by the way. I couldn't and wouldn't call it a relationship, because it wasn't moving toward anything permanent. Everyone is messed up, but people with disabilities are more messed up than the rest of you. Emotionally, I mean. This is an able-bodied world; every "normal" thing people do is some part fresh and exciting, and utterly terrifying.

I can't even worry emotionally about discrimination, because if I did, I'd have gone insane at least 15 years ago. It happens, it probably explains why I don't have a wife and 6 kids, but I can't think about it. I have to live.

Oh, yeah, chastity. I'm a Christian. That happened, and continues. Fornication is a sin, along with most of the other things people think are normal to do. I firmly believe the Catholic Church is right about all of this. I firmly believe that God prohibits things that harm us because He loves us. I firmly believe all of it even when I fail. In fact, I believe even more firmly, in the times of failure, because they show me I am utterly nothing in my own strength.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing. You're probably gonna hold on a little tight, when some woman comes around. She's gotta be crazy. She can't possibly... Does she even...? What is this? All people--all men--think like this. Multiply it a thousand times, and you get an idea of my thought process. Does it even terminate in actual thoughts? I can't answer that.

And if there's trauma added to all this? Man alive! If I didn't believe in grace, I'd invent it, because I got here somehow.

I'll go on living with good hope, despite everything. Jesus isn't, and won't be afraid to touch me. He's not afraid of me. Jesus, the Incarnate Word, left the wounds of His suffering in his glorified body. He left them for me to see, to hide in. For what reason, what glory, have you left me this broken body, O Lord?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...