Skip to main content

"Star Trek: Picard" And Me

Everyone knows I am a Trekkie. I may not even be a good one, given the fact that I haven't even seen Voyager and Deep Space 9 all the way through. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, that will begin to show you just how deep and abiding the Star Trek canon now is, as it is being added to as we speak.

Star Trek would not have endured, if not for the success of Star Trek: The Next Generation. "TNG," as it is lovingly abbreviated, allowed the Trek family to finish the feature films involving the original Star Trek cast with some coherence, and a tie to the present, which was being made by TNG. I digress.

One of the more inspired casting choices back then had to be Sir Patrick Stewart as Capt. Jean-Luc Picard. Stewart is and was a Shakespearean actor, but not unknown to science fiction fans as Gurney Halleck in the film adaptation of Frank Herbert's novel, "Dune". I myself have also enjoyed in recent months his cameo turn as the Russian spy chief Karla, in the miniseries film adaptations of the John Le Carre books, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People," both venerably fronted by Sir Alec Guinness in the protagonist role of George Smiley.

Anyway, as it turned out, Stewart added a certain gravitas that was needed, before TNG earned the loyalty of Star Trek fans. In the process, he helped create an amazing character, a 24th century Renaissance man, who, even within the strictures of Gene Roddenberry's atheistic humanism, is admirable, and worthy of emulation. I think even the weakest of the TNG feature films at the conclusion of the series is a worthy addition to the Star Trek canon, and I know the fans are pleased that such a beloved character still endures. It will be interesting to see what happens, if and when the character is "rebooted," to see who is chosen to fill such large shoes.

"Star Trek: Picard" is set in terms of our calendar in 2399, some 28 years after the end of TNG, and 14 years after Adm. Picard has resigned in protest, for reasons we do not know when the series begins. There is always a tension between what film and TV critics call, "fan service" and good storytelling. Bad storytelling mistakes fan service for good storytelling, and often ends up with neither. Star Trek: Picard suffers no such flaws. I think that you will find if you love TNG that it treats your love with great reverence, even as the writers and other creators have a story to tell. It's sentimental, but not cheap; it's familiar, but not worn. Stewart still inhabits this character. My deepest wish right now is to introduce the non-familiar to the character of Jean-Luc Picard.

I know that I have been pretty rough in recent posts on the philosophy of existentialism. It is indeed some sort of false binary to be forced to choose between existentialism, and nihilism. Revealed truth in Christ is so liberating, because Christ is the meaning of all things; I have no need to make a meaning out of my life. Even as suffering remains the great mystery in this life, that even the experience of revealed truth on this side does not decipher or make plain, there is a coherence and a purpose that becomes clear.

There are no spoilers in this piece, or at least very small ones, because if you have an opportunity to watch the show, nobody likes a show or movie to be ruined by someone else. At the same time, Star Trek in all its incarnations including this one still serves as something of a medium for my self-expression, and one of the ways that I lean into the world. Science fiction in particular--as I have mentioned before--serves as a kind of parable in the present day to talk about what matters in a subtle, hopefully inoffensive way. This is especially important when we often find that speaking directly about things that are contentious often doesn't go very well. Our Lord used parables to great effect, wanting to teach his audience, while favorably disposing them to receive what he had to say.

To say that I have enjoyed the show so far is almost perverse. I don't judge Star Trek on the simple terms of whether it was momentarily diverting. It's a medium, a story to tell another important story. Most immediately, it helps me tell my story, and with mercy, how my story intersects and joins the great story of God's love for humanity.

The show is far from philosophically perfect, but it is philosophically relevant, and that is nearly all you can ask, when faced with life's most important questions. I recommend the entire first season of this show, especially if you can find 11 hours to spare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar