Skip to main content

Presidential Election Update

In simple terms, Biden is winning. The swing states favored any Democrat not named Hillary Clinton anyway, and Biden has a personal demographic ability to play on the newly-minted Trump turf of PA, WI, and MI. Again, Trump barely won these, up against the most unpopular candidate in US history. Unless Team Trump has a parade of surprises planned until election day, I don't see anything to dent Biden's baseline favorability. You'll notice Biden is near 48 percent in the poll average; that's where a sitting president ought to be.

On the other hand, Trump kind of sneaks up. If Team Biden got complacent, they might lose a tight race. But my gut feeling is, they aren't the complacent types. Biden has been overlooked many times; he knows the Trump move. I'm sure many people expected Biden to accept his laurels as Obama's VP, and go away. But he's done his bit for the party; he's done stepping aside.

The political scientist Rachel Bitecofer has gained more attention with her theory that the persuadable swing voter doesn't exist. The theory goes that elections turn on which aligned "independents" actually show up. She says that Democrat-aligned ones are going to show up, and I agree. In the Democratic primary, there was turnout very near 2008 levels. That was an easy Democratic win, you'll recall.

In the interest of humility, I remind you that I've been wrong twice in a row. I underestimated the power of incumbency to help Obama against Romney, and I overestimated Clinton's ability to turn out and hold Democrats. Here's why I'm right this time. First, no one takes Democrats from Joe Biden; second, Trump won 46 percent of the vote last time. If he does that again, he loses; and third, there is no reason to suppose Biden is polling better than voters he'll actually win. It should be easy; it could be a landslide. I guess we'll see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...