Skip to main content

A Rock And A Hard Place

It seems like a lot of us are caught between the desire for justice, and the desire for stability. I can remember taking a university course on the history of the 1960s, and it was kind of like this. Destructive revolution on the left, and violent reactionaries on the right.

Somewhere in my Republican soul, I said, "I draw the line at General Grant." The people who said that the agitation against statues was becoming a generalized iconoclasm have been proven right. I am not in support of racist iconography, but neither do I support the destruction of all iconography. It seems to me that our society in its own way is still very much Christian and Protestant; we just don't read our Bibles anymore. Our religious sense is not going to go anywhere. If we're not going to be Christian, we will be pagan. Secularism was never a real option; we can play at being secular, but we're not good at it.

There will have to be something human that we all can latch onto, some liferaft of stability that we can share. We won't be able to be angry at this level for too much longer. For anger to be useful, and for it to usher in real change, it has to be tempered and harnessed. I read an interesting article in Psychology Today about the toxicity of unbridled rage. Great leaders have always channeled anger into concrete action. Rage goes in unending cycles, and destroys our social bonds. Once more, we know the wisdom of, "be angry, but do not sin."

I suppose I could be tempted to say that I feel useless, but I don't feel useless. I can see what I can see; I know why a good chunk of us are angry, and I know why another chunk of us is fearful. If we can talk about it, maybe we can find a way forward. I hope I see a new generation of true leaders, that even in these troubled times will speak to the better angels of our nature. I understand that sentiment and symbolism is not enough to meet the demands of justice, but woe to those who have begun to believe that there was never any purpose in sentiment or symbolism. We have destroyed the very space for the expression of human generosity. We should not be surprised when we seek grace, and find none.

I pray even now that you find solace in prayer, and true solidarity, in this fight for human dignity. We will endure, if we hold on to hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...