Skip to main content

You Belong Here

 I stopped in the neighborhood church today. Today was the day that they decided to test the fire alarm in my apartment building, so I would rather be in a church. I can't remember what hymn was being played, but as it turns out, the organist likes to practice, when he thinks no one is there. For an entire hour, it was the same hymn. I wish I could remember, but I know it was about the love of Jesus. Then again, aren't they all supposed to be about the love of Jesus?

As I sat there, a friend found me, and he said, "Don't you get curious about the hidden places in here?" Or something like that. I said that I did, and that one time years ago, I got to see "in the back", where most ordinary folks don't get to go. I said I had the feeling that I shouldn't be back here, and he said, "You're an institution; you belong here." That was a very kind thing to say, but when did I become an institution?

I only know that it was a joy to rest in the presence of Christ, and if I am known as the guy who rests in the presence of Christ, you could do worse. We have been losing people lately, and I have realized that some of the people we are losing are the people who greeted me when I was a visitor, over a decade ago. I have been a member of this church for a decade. I didn't live in the neighborhood for a decade, but then again, it sort of feels like I did.

I am starting to understand that even if we feel like we are superfluous, we are not. There are people who come to find me on Saturdays and Sundays at church, just to chat. I don't even think most of the time that I know their names. I'm pretty sure they don't know mine. But it doesn't matter; I'm the guy in the front.

I suppose that some of us have an exaggerated view of our own importance, but I have often thought, "What if I'm the guy who keeps them going, just one more week?" I really don't know if I'm actually that good at inconsequential chit-chat, and if I'm honest, I do not prefer it. But it sure seems like the thing I am supposed to do.

This pandemic has been awfully tough; I don't think it is for me to say that a certain way of bearing up under it is right or wrong, especially if all that is being asked of me is polite conversation. I daresay that people are encouraged, when they see me. I have to chuckle at that, because sometimes, I need to borrow that encouragement!

I want to offer my dissatisfaction with small frustrations as a little gift to the Lord, because my friends and I often share a chuckle about those same frustrations. "I waited a little late to eat that piece of beef, and I was having dreams you wouldn't believe!" "You know, I didn't sleep so great this week. I wonder what that's all about?" I do believe we serve a God of the little things. Maybe the little things are the big things.

Comments

Sabryna said…
Timely reminder; thanks, Jason!

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...