Skip to main content

Thoughts On Hope

I felt really tender when I went to church last night. "Tender" in my parlance usually means that I'm going to cry about the trials and tribulations of fictional characters that I love and appreciate. I'm just really into stories, and I find that the stories I really enjoy are the ones that help me put words to my feelings and experiences.
I had it in my head: "We're just here to be memories for our children." That's the sort of climactic line in the beginning part of Interstellar that really resonates with me emotionally. I was thinking of my father, and that most of what I really have from him is a memory of who he was.
I suppose that if you are about to make the fitting sacrifice of the new covenant in Jesus, thinking about your dear departed loved ones is proper and good. As I continued to sit there, I realized that I am deeply drawn to all stories of love, reconciliation, and harmony. I think many people in the business of telling stories think they should be "gritty," but I think much of the time, real people want to be realistic but also hopeful. "Gritty" too often means "nihilistic."
I think hope pushes me toward the things I know to be true by faith. Hope is that motive, that power, that keeps us from total despair. A certain spiritual despair is the opposite of hope.
To my mind, it shouldn't be surprising that hope and love are linked, because in some sense to desire supernatural love is to possess it. The goodness of God ordinarily does not allow for a thwarted hope, at least not permanently. If hope allows us to desire God, then love is actually the shared experience of that desire and communion. That's why "the greatest is love." Communion with God is the greatest good in a world created in and for goodness.
I'm sure you've noticed that the world does not seem to be as good as I suggest, but to sorrow for the world, to hope for better, in its own way proves that we are meant to have the greatest goodness. If we suffer, we know that in the very act of lamenting that suffering is an act of affirmation of God's goodness.
The Cross not only dealt with the evil of humanity, it reflected that evil. Our folly and sin struck down the innocent One. And yet, he went there willingly. Jesus says by his very act of sacrifice that our wickedness can still not compare to His mercy. That's why the Cross overflows with hope, as well as forgiveness. As long as we can hear Jesus saying, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing," we can have hope. Shame and guilt cannot be the final word, when Jesus still speaks His word of mercy. Every part of us that resonates with themes of love and acceptance is actually responding to the love displayed on the Cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...