Skip to main content

A Few Notes And Questions About (White) Evangelical Deconstruction

 Let me get some potentially hostile questions out of the way. Is this deconstruction premised in philosophical skepticism? If it is, no one will be able to know when they have arrived anywhere meaningful, because it starts an endless loop of interrogation concerning one's own conclusions.

One obvious requirement, if someone wants to remove unnecessarily particular cultural baggage from an expression of Christianity, is that one be able to distinguish between that cultural baggage, and something that is universal to all, or fundamental to the Christian message. Is anyone actually able to make that distinction in a principled way? I haven't seen it.

And then we must deal with that troublesome word: "evangelical." I still don't always have a handle on what it means, but let's do the best we can, and give it a meaning that its proponents seem to agree with. "Evangelicalism" is a socio-cultural movement within Protestant Christianity, that emphasizes personal conversion, biblical inerrancy, and the historical fact of Christ's resurrection from the dead. Obviously, there is some overlap with the rest of Christianity as expressed by its adherents. We could criticize evangelicalism for lots of things, and plenty do, but I thought it would be most wise to define it positively, insofar as that is possible.

"Deconstruction," on the other hand, has meant a few things in different academic contexts. In practice, when I was a college student, to "deconstruct" something or someone meant using a Marxist framework to determine all the privileges that would render whatever this individual said as invalid, at least in terms of allowing the truth value of something they said to change the minds or perspectives of the students. If there is anything consonant with this admittedly loaded definition in the current use of the word "deconstruction," its advocates should give serious thought to choosing a different word, if in fact the stated desire to have a healthier, truer Christian faith is genuine.

One of the things getting expressed at the popular level to the whole concept of "privilege" is an opposition to the term, because it seems to imply that a speaker who has some sort of privilege is no longer supposed to be aiming at the truth in his or her speaking, but the possession of power. I personally have no objections to examining power relationships between people, and I have no objection to using a Marxist framework at least part of the time to examine aspects of our society, with a view towards improvement. However, fallacies and uncharitable interpretations dressed up in academic language remain what they are. If objective truth is not accessible or knowable, then this relativism boomerangs back upon those who would interrogate the present structures. There must be a common ground of definitions, and a possibility of truth that can be shared and held in common. There is something about true knowledge that creates an impulse for it to be shared. Or as St. Thomas Aquinas might have said, "the good is diffusive of itself."

Also, what is the relationship between evangelicalism, and the rest of Christianity? Is there a known scenario where evangelicalism would happily cease to exist? I think a lot of Christians do not even ask themselves this question. There is a lot more I could say, but I will leave you to consider on your own the profound implications, implied, but not stated.

A premise implied in my title here is that evangelicalism has not included nonwhite Christians in large numbers. Is assimilation into this subculture the only way to be an evangelical? Are there nonwhite expressions of it that fit under its umbrella?

I don't have any answers for you; I only have questions. Some of my questions might be argued to be assertions that appear to be questions, and that is fair enough, I suppose. In any case, I think people should start talking about them, instead of emoting on Twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...