Skip to main content

Even If They Are "Crazy," They're Right About Marriage

 I haven't watched Fox News intentionally since 2008. It got weird after Obama got elected. By the way, "Some of this criticism is racist, and reflects structural racism" does not mean, "You are a racist," or, "All criticism of Obama is racist." Anyway, sidebar. Apparently, someone made a mistake over there, posting a picture of a couple ostensibly getting married, one dressed as a groom, and the other as a bride. It was part of a piece defending traditional marriage. The only trouble was, the couple are lesbians.

And I know how it goes, OK? Fox News says batty things routinely. Our "package deal" partisanship makes it easy to jump on and laugh at everything from hypocrisy to mistakes. But...

Marriage can only exist between a biological man, and a biological woman. That's true, and the thing is, even if you want to argue, you know this. It's tragic that in the name of tolerance or inclusivity or whatever you like, that people are wasting energy looking for another definition of "man" and "woman." "Live not by lies," as we say. How should I handle people who are struggling with gender identity, or (ostensibly) not struggling at all? I don't really have a firm plan. But it becomes necessarily political, when it involves law and rights. It's funny; people accuse others of "playing politics" when they don't agree with the political implications. Still others, engaged in the rhetoric of saying, "It doesn't affect you!" are now engaged in pretending that the massive effects that it has on every facet of society aren't really there. Someone is lying. Moreover, it's not my job to decide who the bigots and idiots really are, but I know I will still claim to exist, even if you reject my identity. Catering to trauma-induced delusion on the basis of sophistry and sentiment is pretty stupid. More generally, is depression and suicide rising among this vulnerable population because they lack an affirming community? Or are they depressed and suicidal for other reasons, including gender confusion? It doesn't shock me that teens are confused about who they are; that's definitional of the group. We have to decide if mutilation and sterilization are the ethical responses to that confusion. I say, "No."

Broadly speaking, it goes back to the question, "For what does human sexuality exist?" What is a family? What is not a family? If we say it doesn't matter, we're probably lying, or willfully ignoring the social consequences of pretending not to know. And I think so many people have been conditioned with everything from "less-than-ideal" to, "horrific nightmare" that they can't even really consider the question. People think they're being generous and open-minded. But people have to actually live with the consequences. Most public intellectuals today are insulated from their pronouncements. Lucky for them. Too bad we don't swap out public intellectuals like we do politicians!

Referring to the "right/wrong side of history" is a curiously theistic pronouncement from those who claim we are in danger from religious nuts. We're likely more in danger from those who believe we have no limits. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...