Skip to main content

Waino, Yadi, Albert

 Today was the final home game for the St. Louis Cardinals. Accordingly, it was the final regular season home game for Yadier Molina, and Albert Pujols, who have both made it clear that this season is their last.

As you may or may not know, Adam Wainwright and Yadier Molina now have the all-time MLB record for most starts as pitcher and catcher. It's possible that, given the great caution with which those players are handled, this record is completely unreachable. We will see. I do know that Wainwright is the best pitcher never to win a Cy Young Award as the league's best pitcher, and that he's within hailing distance of consideration for baseball's Hall of Fame. (In point of fact, he has carried the Cardinals this season, and has for several years now, despite celebrating his 41st birthday about 2 months ago.)

You can't say enough about Yadier Molina. Once considered a light-hitting catcher, he's just finished his regular season career with a batting mark of .278. He hit .300 5 times. He's collected over 2000 hits, along with 176 career regular season home runs. He won a Silver Slugger award, as the best hitter at his position. He's had 2 seasons back-to-back in the top 5 of MVP voting. I haven't even mentioned defense yet.

The greatest defender of his generation, Molina has collected 9 Gold Gloves, second-most all-time at that position. 4 times, Yadi was awarded the Platinum Glove, as the best defender on the diamond, among all Gold Glove winners. And not only has he thrown out runners attempting to steal at a rate above 40 percent, but the Cardinals have had the fewest steal attempts against them during this period, by far: fewer than 1000, while the next-closest team has nearly 1500 attempts against them. The upshot: Teams are so afraid of getting thrown out by Molina that they don't even try. (Molina is now 40.) In short, I can't choose between Wainwright or Molina as my favorite player. It's as if they are one, as the starts record amply attests.

Pujols. The most feared hitter of his generation, Pujols collected his 702nd career home run today--4th all-time, behind Bonds, Henry Aaron, and Babe Ruth--and pulled even with Ruth in career RBI, with 3 games left, for second-most in the history of baseball. The 42-year-old has 24 home runs this season alone. If I am honest, I will tell you that it felt absurd to "root" for Albert; in baseball terms, he never really struggled; he's an icon, a baseball "saint" if anyone ever was. And in a sense, beyond us. Yadi and Adam worked to be great; their efforts were as obvious as the chalk lines. Albert made it look easy, as if he invented baseball himself.

Today, in the fifth inning, all three legends, three brothers, left the game together. They left the Busch Stadium field during a season for the very last time. Those pictures will sell for an unreasonable amount of money. I might have cried, on any other day. But the game still hung in the balance; individual accolades come after team wins. They taught us that, and we have learned it well.

Time is passing, to be sure. But for these men, time seems to freeze. And we are frozen in their greatness; every play has felt like a milestone, even before they earned the respect that milestones imply. I don't even know what Cardinals baseball will be without them. But Cardinals baseball has been built by men who don't play for only themselves. And so it will be, always. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar