Skip to main content

I Would Never Wanna Build A Theology On One Verse, But (John 12:32)

 Jesus says some amazing stuff. Jesus says some stuff that you're like, "I don't know about that one, Jesus" at first. And then he says weird God-man stuff that we can easily miss, that if you had the job to think about it, you'd just have your mind blown over and over. Jesus just says this, and leaves us to pick up the pieces.


"And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself."


It's totally fine to say it in this instance: "O my God!" This is why the Eucharistic Sacrifice isn't a new one; this is why all those verbs at the tail end of St. Paul's teaching on the Supper (1 Cor. 11:23-30) are present tense. It's why the Passover rites even today are present tense. Because the Cross is now. Then, but now. No wonder they dared to call it a "propitiatory sacrifice" at Trent. No Christian believes Jesus' atoning work is just a memory. You'd better not! And let me ask you: are you simply remembering, for you? St. Paul already says otherwise (1 Cor. 11:26). We're the proclaimers. You know, like that one Irish band with that annoying song from 1993. Stop lying; you know the one. You just sang the chorus, when you read this. I know. It's OK. It's our little secret.


I don't know, but I think it means that every time Mass/Divine Liturgy is celebrated, people get saved. Maybe even people who aren't there. If this is even halfway true--and Jesus said it, so it's better than halfway--it makes no logical sense to meet without a Eucharistic Sacrifice, unless we're supposed to. Like today. And this goes for the separated brethren, too: that quarterly Supper stuff is dumb. Jesus wants to save people. By all means, preach good words, too. But words are signs, and signs are words. Jesus the Word speaks powerfully, and His Body and Blood, the best possible words: "Your sins are forgiven; go in peace."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...