Skip to main content

Ted Lasso Thoughts

 For the record, I am only part-way into season 3. And a lot of people who probably go to a lot of therapy are really inspired by it. I suppose that’s fine; I can’t claim my eyes have stayed dry the whole time. But it’s a comedy primarily, and it’s actually funny.

Those of sensitive conscience will be out; it’s got strong language. But I speak Swear natively, so I hardly noticed. It’s about a soccer team in England who hires an American football coach as a gag, but Ted isn’t a bumbler, and it starts to work. You’ll like these people, and you should. I have been a teacher and a coach, so I know that motivation is the true key to success, and Ted Lasso absolutely believes it, too.

Brett Goldstein as Roy Kent is the best character on Anglo-American TV this side of Alec Hardy. He’s crass and endearing, and it just works. I saw him in a Sesame Street clip, and I just got happier not long ago. Goldstein was originally just a writer on the show, and he said, “I think I’m Roy,” and he certainly is.

I think Jason Sudeikis as Ted Lasso hopes to be as good a person as Ted is. Ted’s not perfect, mind you, but he’s definitely good.

I don’t want to make my whole personality from this show. It’s not Bluey, after all. But if we’re doing this short season luxury TV stuff where we wait years to see new episodes, well, you can do worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...