Skip to main content
I've got two things today. Let's talk about Biology 1 at the University of Missouri. Frankly, I'm thrilled to be in a basic biology course so late in my college career. Being a reasonably intelligent person who likes being able to hold my own on a wide variety of subjects, I have begun to feel my knowledge of basic science has slipped. Now then, it amuses me also to report that my biology instructor (who is a very nice lady) shares a last name with our current President. It's somewhat an educated guess, but I also highly doubt she is either related to, or shares any similarity in political philosophy to "W." Travelling toward the point of this post then, one lecture ago, the good doctor explained why she in fact would be teaching evolution, and not any sort of creation. She was quite respectful, and does not seem to harbor any negative emotions whatever toward anyone who believes the Bible to be true, and the Word of God. And that is a very good thing. Yet her reasons for this decision just don't add up. If we desire to limit our field of inquiry to those things which are testable, pray tell, how would we test for the alleged change from one species to another species? Has anyone ever seen that? If we only concern ourselves with natural phenomena, as opposed to the supernatural, what does supernatural mean? "Natural" seems to connote something like, "We understand this pretty well, and we're comfortable with it." "Comfortable" is not the first thing I think of when I think of knowing God. Scary, that's more like it. No wonder they don't want to study God. My second blathering of the day concerns worthless philosophical quotes that show up on calendars and T-shirts. You think, "Well, it's quoted on a calender, it must be profound." Specifically, a quote from Ursula K. LeGuin that said roughly, "It is important to have an end to a journey, but in the end, the journey itself is what matters." And dozens of other quotes abound about endpoints to journeys of self-discovery and the like are unnecessary. Does anybody really believe that? Isn't the final result (what you learned) what makes the meaning? I can tolerate all sorts of things on a journey, as long as we get where we are going. I guess I've even had fun when we didn't. In the realm of thought journeys, though, the mere act of self-reflection is reaching an endpoint. If you did no reflecting, it truly is a pointless waste of time. When I took Spirituality as a class, my instructor said that reflection was a key part of that journey she called "postmodern deconstruction." But there's nothing postmodern about that. If you "arrive" somewhere, even if you're always travelling and arriving, you're making a value judgement every time you come to some conclusion (which postmodernism doesn't allow). Perhaps I'm being unfair. It would likely be due to the fact that the thesaurus in my mind and heart tells me that postmodernism is synonymous with "vaccuous idiocy." I sound really British today in my post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...