Skip to main content
I don’t have to write this post. And I could dispatch with recent days’ events with a fairly nerdy, clinical recitation of the relevant football statistics. [Frankly, maybe I should write about the horror of this.] But I’m hurting right now, and it has nothing at all to do with anything serious, or important. Not for people outside of sports. And I feel guilty about that, in a way. But as I noted, Brett Favre is walking away. For me, that’s very hard. And I won’t say he’s a hero; heck, I won’t even say he’s my hero. But a joy to watch, good or bad? Yes. Do I feel privileged to have done so? Yes, indeed. Will watching football be less fun? Certainly. Go ahead and call me an idolator (if the Bible’s any guide, I am the worst) and I’ll admit that. Moving on. People can sometimes be more powerful symbols than they are as human beings. I think of Favre, I think: man, tough, strong, America, team, guts, like me, like us, your neighbor, your dad, your friend. If someone did a Fourth of July montage that showed Favre as something American, something good, nobody (outside Chicago) would flinch. In 5-10 years, if he chose to run for office, he’d win. Not kidding. Lots of sports ‘heroes,’ true, but not like him. I’m feeling safe on that one.
Many of us lived through him, (me included) at least on Sundays after church. There’ll be a million ‘regular guy’ stories about him (as there were throughout) but they’re basically true. And it makes it all the harder. Many NFL legends (lots of quarterbacks) have retired recently. I don’t honestly remember hurting when they left. Football’s not even my favorite sport. But something about Favre, a certain something, a certain ‘we’ that we can’t explain, he carried, just by playing a game. Better than most, but not flawlessly. He screwed up often, and we liked that about him. A lot. ‘Legend’ and ‘beatable’ don’t go together in sports, but with Brett, they did. Brett got addicted to painkillers and alcohol back when; that’d tarnish some athletes, but not Brett. I daresay the identification got deeper.
And that’s not even fair, certainly to black athletes we’d shun if they rented a porno. But that’s how it goes. It defies logic with Favre, though, more than usual. We watched him blackmail the Packers with retirement talk, skip out on camps, etc. and we, Favre Nation, just didn’t care. I don’t, and I’ll admit it. He’s a great teammate, but not always. Likely a great husband and father, but not always. And yet…I cried today, just like he did. I still don’t regret becoming a Packers fan in 2003. I don’t know who my team will be now; perhaps I’ll stay. I loved every second I saw Brett Favre play. If I could preach to three famous people right now, as a personal chaplain, they’d be President Bush, John Mayer, or Brett Favre. And wonder at this: the God who made the world, who gave us His Son, made this one guy, whose giftedness at throwing a ball for far too much money, has made me cry, for wanting to do something else. That’s at once sad, and perfectly understandable, no?
I’d venture to say that if you’re a football fan, you’ve heard the criticism of noted former coach, John Madden—namely, that Madden is the biggest Favre apologist on Earth. I’ve laughed and wondered if Mrs. Favre loves Brett that much! But tell the truth: you felt like Madden every day of these 17 years. Me certainly, for these four I counted myself a fan. Brett’s 38, and ¾ of the league would take him as their quarterback right now, even for the sheer fun of watching, I daresay. I exaggerate, and perhaps I say too much, but I’m less sad, and I needed that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...