Skip to main content
5 Random, Disconnected Thoughts For Today

5. Methinks I have no game, dude.

4. Tim, are we eating pizza tomorrow?!

3. Jamie, give me a call Friday, man.

2. No, I will not mix my milk and cookies; that's just wrong.

1. I would pay money to hear Bob Costas announce a funeral.

P.S. Side Rant: Does anyone realize that hip-hop and R&B are not the same thing? And that today's commercial hip-hop sucks? I mean, truly epically shameful? Are the A&R dudes at record labels even paying attention? Is anyone buying the crap on the Top 40 radio now? The '90s were awesome for R&B and Soul. Even the repetitive throw-away songs were good. And the phase maybe lasted into '02. There were rapper cameos back then, but we understood that it was a dance track or something. Not to mention that people actually rhymed words back then. Now, everything is Ghetto. If you sing a song now, you are either: 1) White, 2) Gay, or 3) Country. Even Robin Thicke can't do a whole album without some hip-hop fake jumping in. People actually ask me, they dare laugh when I say I'm a little stuck on Lionel Richie and Babyface. Geez, hip-hop is so bad I want Puff Daddy back. Yes, Puff Daddy. Not P-Diddy or whatever Sean Combs is calling himself these days. Someone has even kidnapped Usher and turned him into a ghetto-bot. He wants us to like this, when he knows $%#! well that his best song in 5 years is this. They didn't even release it as a single, and it hit the top 20. Are you listening? Matter of fact, no, this is the truth: you have to earn the right to have a ghetto-edge. Alicia Keys has earned it with songs like this. Look me in the face and tell me you won't listen to that in 30 years. Really what this is about is the horrid mixing of genres to the detriment of both. Rap is beautiful and incisive by itself; Soul, the same. But this Frankenstein monster "hip-hop" will be the death of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...