Skip to main content
5 Reactions to the World Cup

5. I will believe until my last breath that FIFA was actively trying to prevent US advancement past the group stage.

4. The rules governing the issuance of cards should be revised. No one should miss a match while never having been dismissed from a match (especially as bad as the officiating has been).

3. Soccer--or football, if you like--is truly a beautiful game, and I don't understand why it isn't more popular here. Give me a rooting interest, and I'm in.

2. I respectfully disagree with Mr. Darke that every side would delay a match up 2-1 in extra time. Ghana's behavior was appalling, and should have merited a team yellow card.

1. #3 aside, I don't care about the tournament now. I may watch the final, but no more. And I hope Ghana loses 12-0.

Entirely Unrelated Side-Rant: I may have to charitably punch Barry Manilow right in the face. YouTube is great, because you can explore tons of songs you hadn't heard. I knew Mr. Manilow sang "Mandy" and "Copacabana," and I recall him performing "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" on VH1; I think he had said he wrote it. So I listened to "Ships" and "Weekend In New England" and especially "Looks Like We Made It" and thought, "Geez, this guy's good." But even I know it's uncool to like Barry Manilow (or something). [What are you, a 65-year-old Jewish woman?--ed.] So thanks, Barry, for making me feel even less cool. With apologies for their misuse of God's Name, this illustrates my last couple of days. [You like The Carpenters, for pete's sake! Your chance at manliness died a long time ago.--ed.] Hey, man, I think the only truly unmanly thing is to lie about what you think or feel for the sake of expediency, fear, etc. It does chagrin me (proper use?) that love songs are only relatable half the time because we are a bunch of fornicating perverts. Anyway, my two cents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...