Skip to main content
5 Thoughts For The Day

5. Scott Rolen is having a monster baseball season at the age of 35. He's always been one of my favorite players, and would be a Hall of Famer if not for injuries.

4. Day 1 of the "new plan." No, this does not involve women.

3. I have made it through the day without listening to Barry Manilow. [Yeah, but "Mandy" was playing in your head.--ed.]

2. I didn't even know this song until last year, and I love it. Heard it on imeem.com. (Curse you, Myspace!) He's earned a hearing beyond his famous signature song. Warning to Tim: I will be finding one of his abums from the '90s or '00s and giving it a listen to write a review. Yes, I've heard the original. It's too slow to make the intriguing lyrics jump out at you. But congrats for writing a great song, dudes.

1. I heard yelling out my door, and then a doorbell ring with a knock. But I didn't get there fast enough. Hope they weren't selling something.

[Actually Germane Side-Rant: I can't believe that remake in #2 only hit #22 on the charts. Maybe there's three types of hit songs: 1) "We're going to remember and love this one forever." 2) "Wow, this song is irritating but memorable, and we're going to share it together." 3) "Who the jimmy are the people who like this horrible song?" Maybe tucked in the mid-twenties are all the songs people would really like if they weren't so ADHD about things. Furthermore, it's probably catchy, but not overly so, so if you heard it 10 years later, you wouldn't want to harm yourself or others at the first note. My theory, anyway. Tangent Within The Rant: "My Heart Will Go On" is a song I always will utterly hate that still is, admittedly, performed vocally rather well. There are 3 main problems with this song: 1) It is the theme to perhaps the most overrated film of all time; 2) the lyrics make no sense; 3) you have to dose yourself with Celine, or you will be prone to stab yourself in the eye with sharp objects, but it was EVERYWHERE. Alright, I have to call out one of my own on this one also: "Hero" by Mariah Carey is rank Gnostic heresy. Look, I'm definitely an "MC" fan, muted only slightly by her descent into, well, porn, since 1995. But I gotta call it like I see it. [Did you notice that Walter Afanasieff is involved with both songs you hate?--ed.] Yes. I feel the same about Wally's songwriting as I do Diane Warren's: ambiguous. And I mean, I think I have some sappy song "street cred," so it isn't that. Maybe I have no idea what I'm saying.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...