Skip to main content
It seems to me that, respectfully, at the heart of this feel-good ecumenism being advocated in some quarters lurks the re-assertion of the same basic ecclesiology advocated by the Reformers. Just because you're nicer about it doesn't make it any less Reformational than the bitterest of days past. We should all celebrate the fact that we are not taking the Lord's own final judgment into our individual hands, speaking kindly to one another, and hoping and praying for the best. But the Catholic Church speaks clearly on the point of apostolic succession, and combined with Petrine primacy, forms the historically situated basis for levelling the charge of schism against the Reformers. That is, that claim of apostolic visible oneness is not accidental to the claim of authority by the Catholic Church; it is the heart. The reason the Catholic Church doesn't join in the missional-ecumenist party, as it were, is because the Church would have to deny one of her inherent marks, which is tantamount to denying her divine origin. None of us Catholics have the right to do this, whether lay or clerical. Across the divide, we mean different things by the four marks of the Church. The heart of becoming Catholic is acknowledging the authority and origin of that Church which has the audacity to resist the re-definition of the words. Part of my error in being Protestant had been the opinion that I, along with my leaders, had the divine sanction and right to re-define the Church, either in what she believes, or in what she is. John, for all his great work, doesn't get this. This visible unity argument isn't a bludgeon in the hands of a misguided, fanatical minority--even an exceedingly gracious one--it is the Catholic-Protestant divide itself. Always has been. I fear I'm being unclear.
But let me ask a few questions: Let's assume for the sake of argument that the visible unity argument is in error, a polemical false start with no basis in reality. What is the principled means for establishing orthodoxy? Does it exist? Even if we were to agree on the means for establishing it (Scripture), what does Scripture say? Who, or what, settles the disputes that surely inevitably would arise? Are we not in the exact place (just within Protestantism) we are today? How could we speak of "orthodoxy" at all? Will John Armstrong be the arbiter of both the orthodoxy and the shape of such a "Church"? Isn't every dispute between Christians really a dispute about the nature of the Church and the content what she believes? The only way we end it is to agree upon the basis, the origin, of our "core orthodoxy." I absolutely agree there is one. The point from our end is that the physical structures of that orthodoxy are crucial to find and declare it, not accidental or even extraneous. I'm Catholic because I traced the content of that core orthodoxy back to the very means God used to establish it: the visible community headed by Peter, maintained in the Holy Spirit by apostolic succession. I can't see any other option. A visible Church with no principium unitatis isn't (or won't stay) visible, and an invisible Church has no discernable orthodoxy, since its boundaries extend beyond the bounds of its common faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...