Skip to main content
It has been said by an endless parade of wise people that all they ever learned that was important was given them by someone else. I am certainly no exception, even if what I was given was a lesson in what not to do. In any case, the question of this blog in general is, "Who is Jesus Christ, and why does it matter?" Of course, you may have noticed that I've written many other things not concerned with that question, at least not directly. And that reason is that people are fascinating. God was so "fascinated" by us and in love with us that He became one of us, to rescue us from ourselves, from sin, and Satan. Life without the God who made us is utterly pointless, and quite literally impossible.
Some of you begin to think I've become some sort of crazy person, becoming Catholic, and daring to insist that to be Christian is to be Catholic, eventually. It isn't my idea, and it isn't the product of me being a convert, or any faults of mine, real or imagined.
Now, a few of you are mildly annoyed that I don't join the diplomatic corps of lies that is today's ecumenical movement. My bad. I figure you can drink wine and tell lies without me. You don't get any extra points for being well-read, or following dead Swiss theologians of dubious quality and authority. You are personally at liberty to believe whatever you wish, and to act accordingly. Some of you claim to be ministers of Christ and his gospel. Well, what is it? How do you know? And are you certain you were sent by Christ to proclaim it? It might be bluntly stated, but it's a good set of questions.
At the very heart of everything written here on this subject is the question of truth, in light of the reality of the life and work of Jesus Christ. All we know to be true--especially here--we received from those we believe to be trustworthy. If it is true, then it corresponds to reality as it is. That which is handed on as truth--tradition--we owe to those before us, to those after us, and to ourselves. We don't have the option--especially in the realm of God--to be cavalier about what we hand on to our posterity. Have we become unwilling to fight for what we know, or to fight to know it if it is beyond our grasp? Have the niceties of politeness dulled our senses for the Truth, which is Christ?
To ask "the Catholic question" is to ask, as an heir to the Reformation, if the ground on which we have stood is solid. It is to ask if the men who handed Christian truth to us in fact possessed it in full measure. To become a son of that Church which is called Catholic is to realize that they did not.
We know this because there is a yawning gulf between the theology of the patristic lights, and that of the supposed "Reformers." That patristic faith and the means of identifying it cannot be both false, and the source of legitimacy for the dissenters from that faith. Moreover, if the result of that dissent is uncertainty and disunity, how can it be from God? It stands to reason also that if Christians had a means to discern orthodoxy from error, and a person or persons charged with declaring it and preserving it, that would remain so, even if persons in their walks with Christ fail to uphold what they declare. So as an example, we cannot say, "Well, if the Catholic Church hadn't been so corrupt, we wouldn't be in this position." Rome either has authority or they don't. If they don't, they never did. If they do, they always have. In other words, the truth of the Council of Trent is a separate question from the faithfulness of those who composed it. If the Church of Rome's authority is pretended, then someone else has it. Also, anything defined by means of that authority is suspect.
But the problem with suspicion of this kind is that we can't identify any semblance of orthodoxy apart from Rome's authority. We need a principled, consistent reason to agree or dissent. We face the unavoidable accusation of being ad hoc on either side, as dissenters. From dissenters who dissent even more severely, and from those who do not dissent. And they have both been right, in different ways.
In all this, by what authority do you believe what you do? Who handed the faith on to you? Why should we listen to them, as opposed to another?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar