Skip to main content
Alright, I can't stop myself. I am officially jazzed about the new changes on American Idol. It does lead me to fear that the ratings are slipping. The fame of the celebrity judges is increasing. Why would you do that unless you had to?

I know that Tim likes The Voice, and I like elements of it. But Christina Aguilera reminds me why a pretty face (and body) is not enough. She's so annoying. She must know that her career has been something of a disappointment. A voice like that should put her in "The Conversation" (best female singer in my lifetime) with Whitney, Mariah, and Celine. But she isn't. Maybe it's how she started (child star). And she hasn't really had a signature hit, or a series of them, to make us think anything other than, "Really hot, in a shameful, guilt-inducing sort of way" or, "Used to be a Mouseketeer." [Karen Carpenter was briefly alive in your lifetime.--ed.] Yeah, but she did most of her work in the two decades prior. Did you know she was a world-class jazz drummer on the side? Yeah, if I made her eligible for "The Conversation," she'd win. I can listen to her sing for hours.

I digress. I hope they still do Mariah Week on Idol. Don't even act like you don't love that week. Considering that she's only had one legitimate solid album from beginning to end (Daydream) and is known as a singles artist, and wrestled for creative control, and musically got lost in the woods, her stature is impressive, and even a bit surprising. [Dude, she's hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 18 times. She's the best-selling artist of the 1990s. What are you talking about?--ed.] She could have been even bigger, too.

But whatever we could whine about the deleterious effects of AI on our culture, I love the show. It reminds me why I love pop music. I wonder who will fill the other judge chair? How about this guy? Nobody who watches the show has any doubt the last two years who the funniest guest/mentor has been. Just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...