Skip to main content
Being a Christian is about Jesus Christ; we ask and discover who he is in order to discover what he'd like us to do, in general and in the particular. As I have said many times, the two most important questions you will ever ask--to yourself or anyone else--are, "Who is Jesus Christ?" and, "What is the Church?" Once you realize that whatever answer you give to the second question is awfully ad hoc and presumptuous, that question becomes, "Where is the Church?"

It seems rather obvious to me now, to realize that the denomination I had been a part of had no connection whatsoever of a necessary kind to that insvisible notion of "Church" we held so dear. That is, to separate from that body was no grave crime, and it may well not have been a crime at all. To play the trump card all Protestants have but never acknowledge using is one of the more dangerous and liberating things a person can do. My church, my denomination, could be wrong. To say otherwise, to invest said leaders with anything more than the provisional authority which they hold would be to invite the very historical scrutiny which any Protestant community cannot survive. So, having willingly and by neccessity chosen to conceive of the "Church" as the invisible group of all the elect, one faces two obvious problems: 1. explaining why one has the ability to define "the Church" in the first place, and 2. explaining what this far-flung, disconnected group of people not only believes, but must believe by necessity in order to attain salvation. The funny part is, you can't answer the second without answering the first. In all that, I wish you luck. None of this has anything whatever to do with the Catholic Church: its claims upon our lives, or the fact that I am now her loyal son.
So don't distract from the issues. Answer the question(s). Even if by exegesis you could attempt an answer to the second question, the real answer to the first is a question: "Who asked me?" Since denominations or families of denominations exist to promote and preserve one interpretation of the Scriptures, the obvious question--especially in light of opposing ecclesiastical assemblies with their disparate views quite in evidence--is why any one of them can be held correct. It is not reasonable to believe that my imperfect, fallible, reading of the Scriptures--by a mere invocation of the Holy Spirit--is any more or less plausible than the next man's. Is it any more reasonable to assume that our collective reading of those same Scriptures, as one denomination or family of them, escapes the problem? To the extent that one conceives that the Body of Christ extends outside the community one inhabits, to even those who disagree on fundamental points while remaining full members, to that extent must one be uncertain about what the Body of Christ believes. Ecclesiology and dogma are inextricably linked. More than that, there are as many ecclesiologies as there are interpretations of the sacred text. And that makes sense, since the individual determines not only what is most important to believe, but also the shape of that spiritual communion of those who hold it.

There is nowhere near this level of uncertainty in the Catholic paradigm, by the way. Looking at the paradigms themselves, there is no doubt which one is superior on those terms. It only remains to see if there is evidence in history to support the notion that this Catholic Church is that which enjoys the divine charism of infallibility.

If these guys come to your door and start arguing that you aren't even reading your New Testament correctly, can you appeal to any act of Holy Mother Church to back you up, knowing that you do not do so in a principled fashion? I'm just asking. This very truth drove me to discover the bases of what I did hold, and this led inoxerably to the Catholic Church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...