Skip to main content
I have often humorously compared the Catholic Church to the Borg Collective. The similarities are slightly unnerving for a Protestant considering conversion. In recent days though, ideas have bubbled up that the Catholic/Orthodox idea of theosis destroys individuality. I think it would be good to contrast the Borg Collective with being a member of the Catholic Church, for instance, so that we can see how the Catholic Church is not like being assimilated into the Borg.

Let's recall who the Borg are, so that we can think about what it's like to be assimilated. The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) under the command of Jean-Luc Picard, was thrown a great distance from the explored area of the galaxy by the flippantly malevolent super-being "Q," into system J-25, where they encountered a cubic Borg vessel of great power that killed several members of the crew, assimilated several others, and nearly destroyed the ship. Each Borg is tied into the collective mind; he or she hears all the thoughts and workings of all the others. When a Borg speaks, he says "we". Everything an individual thinks or does is subordinated to the common purpose. In fact, each Borg is named with a number as a reference point within a group; i.e. "Three of Five". Individual liberty, and even awareness have no meaning for the Borg. When the dangerously pesky Q returns the Enterprise to its own space, Starfleet realizes that they have perhaps 18 months to prepare for a Borg invasion of Federation space.

When the Borg do come, they completely annihilate a thriving colony on the outskirts of the Federation. The Enterprise pursues, and after several failed engagements, the Borg's true intent becomes clear: to kidnap Picard and use him to assimilate the entire Federation. They succeed, and they force Picard to act as the Borg spokesman in their takeover of the Federation. As such, they aptly name him "Locutus" (literally, "the one who will speak"). Admiral Hansen rallies as many Federation ships as possible at sector Wolf 359 to try to stop the cube's approach to Earth. 40 starships and at least 10,000 people are killed in the battle, including Admiral Hansen. A vast technological advantage, combined with the knowledge and experience of Starfleet's best tactician make the armada no match for the Borg. (Incidentally, Commander Benjamin Sisko, who lost his wife in the battle at Wolf 359, who would later take command of space station Deep Space Nine on orders relayed from Captain Picard, barely escapes alive with his young son, Jake.)

The Enterprise had been disabled after a previous attempt to destroy the Borg cube was thwarted. The former first officer of Picard and now captain of the Enterprise, William Riker, kidnaps Picard, and with the help of Lt. Commander Data, (the android) disrupts the Borg influence over Picard. Picard himself assists in a small way in formulating the plan that will eventually destroy the Borg cube.

The interconnectedness of the Borg, combined with the lack of individual liberty, is actually their weakness.

And I'll continue this reflection later...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...