Skip to main content
One thing that moves me very deeply is to remind people in my life that God loves them. Insanely. Fanatically. Unendingly. If only I could believe that myself! But it is true to say that God loves us more than we could possibly love ourselves. The Cross shows us this. For many of you, the Cross of Christ is about the total removal of sin and guilt, and to be sure, there is an element of satisfaction in it. But it is not primarily transactional; it is relational. I was in dialogue with a guy who agreed with me (without knowing it) that it was relational, and this was his reason for being Reformed and not Catholic. But would he understand how far the Reformed tradition has moved back toward the Council of Trent in its popular piety!

On the ground, "faith alone" is freighted with everything that "faith formed by love" means for a Catholic. Loving trust, that heart of living faith, is already assumed. People would reject extra nos imputation as preposterous if they thought for a second that it led to mere intellectual assent. But that isn't what they mean by it. "Faith alone" to a Protestant might as well be, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so". This is why denying faith alone sounds like a forsaking of the gospel. This is also why the historic Catholic position sounds like trusting in yourself. After loving Jesus and trusting Him alone, what more could be done? And what should be? Nothing. But that's the point: the pastoral theology, the practical theology of Reformed people is nothing short of the theology of the Council of Trent, minus the submission to Mother Church. Say what you want about R. Scott Clark; he's 1000% percent right about what Reformed theology historically is supposed to believe. But you have to ask yourself: Does Dr. Clark have a theology that you recognize, day to day? And if you have to answer "no," are you prepared to re-examine the whole separation, when it becomes clear that where God is leading you is agreement with the Catholic Church? And not just agreement with the Church today, but at the very moment of her highest infamy, in the Reformed view? I'm just asking.

That's what I realized I'd done to Mother Church and to myself: I'd taken the moments where God had touched my heart with his love, and mapped it onto the theology of the Reformers, as if they were the same thing. That God moves any of us with his love shocks no one. But how we got from that to believing any number of batty things (and that our communities and ministers rightly taught about that redemption accomplished, and had the authority to apply it) is a mystery to me, now.

All that is to say, historical continuity is the truest test of legitimacy. That claim of continuity rested uneasily in tension with the necessity of discontinuity to legitimize the rival ecclesial bodies founded at the Reformation. Heterodoxy is only slightly worse than orthodoxy established in an ad hoc fashion. Honesty demands a principled basis; if I should find that my "catholic" faith owes itself to a community I had forsaken, then I must conclude that I was wrong to forsake it. Indeed, the Church is itself the visible sign of salvation for all the Christian people. [Wow, high-falutin' today!--ed.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...