Skip to main content

Why I Love Star Trek

I was coming home after dinner with friends, and I couldn't get it out of my head. It was a melody composed by Jay Chattaway, written for what would become the most popular episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Both the episode and the piece are called, "The Inner Light." It's a simple, haunting melody, and it's the sort of thing you hear, and immediately want to hear again. The emotional power of the episode has something to do with it. I'll not tell it here. Let's just say that it's the epitome of Star Trek in its relentless optimism, and its abiding humanism. That was Roddenberry's vision. Star Trek has room and the creative forces to go beyond that vision to a point, but not to repudiate it. And I think that if there was a criticism I could level with those who carry on the tradition of Star Trek, it's that it flirts with being too gritty, too present-day. I'm the furthest thing from a secularist, so it could always rub me wrong, and hit false notes. But whatever the Christian tradition conserves, and the revelation of Jesus Christ means for human limitations in a certain sense, it has never been misanthropic. Christianity is humanism writ large. Jesus Christ reveals Man to himself.

When I was a kid, I wanted adventure. I needed to be unbound from certain limits of everyday life. Star Trek touched that need powerfully. No matter what's going on, you are more than this. You have more to give and to be. It's transparently aspirational. This is why the atheist-humanists get weird about aliens and space: You can repudiate any "religion" you like, but we are made to give ourselves totally to something--Someone--bigger than ourselves. I would say this Saganist (Saganian?) quasi-religious vision only scores points against Christianity when that faith is conceived fideistically. A closed, incurious faith is no match for the enormity of what humans could, and do, know. I digress.

If you think it's just a geeky TV show, consider that this one show aired 47 years ago, spawned 5 spin-off series, and 12 films. And don't even begin to think it's over. This is not just a niche; it's a bonafide cultural touchstone. Star Trek has power because its storytelling fuels are the questions of meaning. What does it all mean, and what does it mean to me, and for me? Depending on what you find therein, it may not be the right answer. But you have to appreciate anything that inspires the right questions.

The whole body of ideas and stories is littered with literary allusions, historical references, and insights from every field of human inquiry. You can snare a boy with any good adventure. It takes something special to make something that grows with him, that inculcates a life-long curiosity and openness to learning. That's why Star Trek is special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...