Skip to main content

The Elephant In The Minivan

Oh, wait. You don't have a minivan. Because you're married, and not having kids. Let's get this out of the way: Contraception is wrong. Look, I get it: You're not Catholic, and you don't care what the Pope says. Feel better now? It's still wrong.

Let me take a moment to express my sympathy and prayers for those who cannot conceive, whether due to temporary circumstances, or permanent ones. We all have paternity and maternity built right into us. We long for this. In fact, I'm glad this is still present in a very flawed way in gay and lesbian couples, harmful as it may be.

Exactly how are you going to fulfill that mandate to "be fruitful and multiply" if you are blocking your own fruitfulness? How are you demonstrating your fidelity to the teaching that "Children are a blessing from the Lord" if you don't have any, and are intentionally preventing it?

Someone was lamenting and joking that Facebook was turning into "Mom-book" with all the baby pictures. I don't mind. To be perfectly blunt, it means we're not going to die.

This is not Sex and the City. Both men and women want to be loved as deep as love can go. How romantic is it to say, "I want to use you for my own sexual pleasure"? "I love the design of your body...for me"? Just think about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...