Skip to main content

Things To Remember

If you write things long enough, you may actually say something that you remember, that others remember, something that's worth grasping. Today, I woke up with this in my head: "The fundamental posture of any person in the sphere of revealed religion is that of a receiver." It's mine, but like anything, it's cobbled together from who knows what that I have read or heard. (Almost on command, my mind goes to a philosophical teaching--maybe St. Thomas?--"That which is received is received according to the mode of the receiver." I digress.) That first idea is that desire to be simply a creature in humble submission to God. When someone says, "You have no principled way to distinguish between revelation and human opinion,"--whether that claim is true or not--he's laying a very serious charge at your feet. He's saying that, in your system, there is no way to take one's fundamental posture toward God.

It goes right along with the fundamental reason why I cannot be any version of Protestant. Call it the JK Corollary, maybe: "One cannot be both the arbiter of divine revelation, and a humble receiver of it at the same time." What I call the Tyranny of the Plausible is the multiplicity of arbiters in the form of churches or at least putative churches. If a church is to be a true arbiter, it must have the very gift of infallibility in some context, because that infallibility is actually a sign or mark of God's authority, which allows the creature to take his proper place in submission to God. So when we say to Mathison, "You have failed to distinguish Sola Scriptura from Solo Scriptura in a principled way," another way to say that is, "Your proposed mediating authorities are not true arbiters." If I hold the Ace, they don't. So, Sola Scriptura + invisible Church is a master-stroke of individualist arrogance. No, the true genius of the whole thing is convincing all of us that we weren't individualists and fundamentalists the whole time. That'll be hard to hear for some of you. You're proud of your "historic" whatever, your "creedal" whatever. What did I call it before? "A deeply historical, reverential, Chestertonian Protestantism." Too bad it's ad hoc. If I hold the Ace, they don't. It doesn't really matter who "they" are.

And that reminds me: Some people say that pointing these things out puts us in a "combat zone" that they don't like to enter. Why not celebrate what we agree on as Christians? Well, we do. But what we do not agree on actually matters. If it didn't, those people who allegedly don't want theological combat wouldn't be so bothered by the fact that we don't agree with them. Isn't that funny? Besides, discussing settled matters gets boring fast.

Have you seen this guy? It's so funny, and (mostly) true, it'd make a Lutheran out of me...but for the fact...well, you know. Anyway, if you watch a lot of these, he'll eventually get around to saying something like, "The Christian Church has always held," or some such. And that's where the trouble is. Inevitably, that "Church" is conceived by him as fundamentally invisible. It would have to be. There are no visible bonds, no sacramental bonds, (save baptism) etc. between my community and his. To whom is he referring? For whom is he speaking? When he says something distinctively Lutheran, he doesn't speak for me. And this is where "We're all united in what matters" dies the death of harsh reality. The steps beyond the celebration of that which is held in common are inevitably of a more polemical nature, and are summed up as, "Did that idea x really come from God? How do you know?" If we find the principled means for knowing both of those things, then and only then can we find the Church, and dare to speak for her.

Comments

Susan said…
Jason,

Splendidly done!

Yes, it is true,"One cannot be both the arbiter of divine revelation, and a humble receiver of it at the same time."

Last year, kicking and screaming, I humbly submitted to all that The Church teaches. I didn't care about RCIA so much, I just wanted in. I cared about understanding and still do because it's all reaonable, but no more critique from me anymore, except when I do. "Batter my heart threepersoned God...

Great Work!

Your Friend,
Susan

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...