Skip to main content

Not After Old Things At All

He's at it again. He's Peter Leithart, brilliant author, pastor, speaker, and on and on. But the fact remains, he doesn't get it. He can't, because he finds himself unable to question his three fundamental assumptions: 1) his absolute right of private judgment in matters of Scripture or Tradition; (consequently) 2) the fundamental invisibility of the Church; and--this is a tough one-- 3) that he's actually in Christ's Church. If you do not question these assumptions, you have not gotten into the mind of a true convert. You have not seen the other side. You've seen your own side, and dabbled in it. Let's get real.

Quite honestly, too, if you don't begin to make that effort, you're just wasting your breath. Because I can tell you, on balance, converts to Catholicism do understand what they left better than those who went the other way. Yes, that is a direct challenge. One that I hope you take.

Let me just be honest, and perhaps make a concession: I do not view all defections from Catholicism as unmitigated tragedies, or at least irredeemable ones. If you find Jesus in some Bible church in the middle of nowhere, I rejoice with you. We say "poorly catechized" over here so many times, I want to cry. FIND JESUS! The real Jesus. But realize that life with Jesus never ends with a prayer, and you're good. When we walk with Jesus, he asks things of us. He says to each one of us, "I have more to give you, more Love, more of Myself" and we've got to be ready. What if he asks you to lay down Sola Scriptura? What if He asks you to put your heroes in the dock? What would you do?

If you put the underlying ecclesiology of the Reformation in nicer words, and you write books about our brotherhood, and unity, etc. it sounds great. You can appreciate Catholicism all you like, but unless you have taken the risk of questioning the truth of Protestantism's fundamental assumptions, you don't understand the convert.

One other thing: We are quickly approaching the time when the individualism intrinsic to the Protestant interpretive paradigm will completely overwhelm categories like "liberal" and "conservative" entirely, and make them meaningless, if they aren't already. If we don't come back to the bedrock question of how we know what we know, in both theology and ethics, we are doomed. The reason we have so many denominations is not because we are sinners, (though we are) not because "those people are wrong" (though they might be). There's an irreconcilable dilemma between private judgment (Sola Scriptura) and ecclesiastical authority. Real simple. No bad faith, no assumption that Johnny Bob is just a wicked sinner, and that's why he doesn't agree. The Noltie Conundrum, as we call it. It actually only becomes a problem when we take Johnny Bob at his word that he is in communion with the Holy Spirit, and He will interpret the Scriptures. Because the still-inevitable chaos becomes a theological problem, not a human one. That's where it gets fun. We're not chasing old things, Peter. We're trying to follow the Incarnate Word. It becomes historical, visible, and physical because He is all of those things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...