Skip to main content

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

I'm not saying there's no good in reading fiction; I just don't have an infinite amount of time in which to read the things I must read, the things I'm inclined to read anyway, and anything else. And I just flat-out don't agree that fiction is superior, anyway. They're all stories; at bottom, human stories, so I don't see the difference, myself. You need imagination and creativity to make a difference for God and people in this world, in any case. And I'm telling you, if you don't think you can get it from reading non-fiction, you need to read better non-fiction.

And there's no merit badge at the end for having read Middlemarch. It's true I don't trust people who willfully don't read anything at all; it's quite another to tell people what they must read, and why. You can't possibly know that.

I'm only insistent about this point because I am but a mortal man, and because "for pleasure" has no meaning in my universe at all. I do absolutely everything for a purpose. Even my "leisure" serves that purpose. And I've got to work around my "crazy". I'm physically disabled, and whether it's medical or not, I absolutely cannot focus on one thing for longer than 15 minutes. Even when I pray, it's insane. This is why I prefer Eucharistic Adoration to other prayer, because at least when I become distracted, I am distracted with Him. Also, in the quiet, others don't realize you are insane.

This is why I told Bob to take a bunch of little breaks when reading theology and doing our stuff; we're similar people; if we burn out from forcing ourselves to focus too intently for too long, we'll blow 6 days thinking about the anatomy of flying purple unicorns, and miss what we're supposed to do entirely. Keep your deadlines firm but broad, and keep your diversions semi-relevant to the major tasks at hand.

Comments

Unknown said…
Ok. It's so funny how we keep talking past each other. Here is the thinking on this matter.

You say: "I don't believe fiction is superior." It depends on what you mean by superior. As in, it is better to read fiction than non- fiction? No. As in, it's better at doing what non-fiction does? No. There's a reason we have named the categories different things, i. e. fiction" and "non-fiction," because they accomplish different things. To say that "fiction us superior to non-fiction" is ludicrous, so we agree of course!

But then you quickly start equivocating. That they aren't seperate categories. That it's "all stories" and if you can't get "imagination and creativity" from non-fiction then we're reading the wrong kind of non-fiction.

This is like saying: "it's all color all the way down. You can get imagination and creativity from the creation that is God's sunset by actually looking at the real thing, instead of going to an art gallery and seeing paintings of sunsets."

Why is it like this? Because one is all art, all aesthetic, all creativity, all imagination straight up -- no chaser while the other has to grapple with realities beyond our control. They accomplish very different things because they have very different purposes. To insist that one is superior to the other would be ridiculous. My insistence is simple that both are dire necessitates, but in our culture fiction gets the slap as being merely "entertainment." This is what we've done to art -- if it doesn't entertain, it's useless.

I hope you see why I'm passionate about this and why I believe our culture is starved for art and beauty. Sincerely, a musician.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...