Skip to main content

They Went Out From Us...

A little note on this new propensity for people to call themselves, "Reformed Catholics". It's dishonest. If you believe that the Catholic Church has distorted the gospel (and in all fairness and sympathy, this is what the children of the Reformation believe) then separation from a false 'Church' is an honest and principled course. In fact, if I may make a brief digression into Catholic moral theology, it is a sin to act against certain conscience, even if that conscience turns out to be badly misinformed. This is why a person who grows up in what was a schism is not a schismatic, properly speaking. If a person knowingly persists in schism, knowing that it is one, that's a different story. That's why Lumen Gentium, 14 is so carefully worded, with respect to knowing that the Catholic Church was made necessary by Christ: If you know that, and refuse to enter or stay, you're rejecting Christ, not some guys calling themselves the 'Catholic Church'. If I were to leave, I give you permission to fear for my soul. What the Church does with the motives of credibility--that is the reasoned reasons to trust Christ and His Church--is question the credibility of those witnesses who believe other than what she teaches. That's what she did to me. If Leithart honestly believes that his differences with us are not significant enough to live in doctrinal and ecclesial contradistinction to us, then don't do it. If they are, then do. But you're not Catholic until you are.

Behind all the discussions I had about what 'catholic' really meant, (and actually, the whole time, we were discussing the disputed meanings of all 4 of the traditional marks of the Church), eventually, I heard God's voice in a certain way, saying, "This is the faith of My House; take it or leave it." (But more love, for sure.) Mother Church doesn't question anyone's earnestness or zeal; only God knows hearts. But she does question your authorities.

This is why I do not 'hate' the Reformed faith I once loved. I must vigorously protest this charge. I only questioned and do question those authorities from which we learned it, in this respect: their capacity and authority to speak for Jesus Christ with respect to what has been revealed. This is why a good Catholic can say to everyone in the world: "You are right in what you affirm, and wrong in what you deny."

Another quick note: There are lots of denominations, it's true. I've heard Catholic apologists mention this before, and it's not altogether invalid. But it's important to recognize what the true point of that is. It's not, "Stupid Protestants, HA, HA!" No, the point is, "How do I know where God has spoken, and what has He said?" The Noltie Conundrum is only a true crisis when you presume that the other guy is closer to God than you are. It becomes a theological problem in the strict sense. We can wax eloquent about the fallibility of man, but you kind of want to say, "OK, the Humility Cards have been played. Now, what did God say?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...