Skip to main content

The Realness And The Tension

This is rather interesting. Jon Stogsdill, thy wife posted this on Facebook, so I assume you'll read it, one way or the other. You made the blog again! WOO! I bet you're wondering why I said, "thy." Because it sounds awesome, that's why. I digress.

There's no accounting for taste, really, but my favorite Jesus music by a landslide if we're talking pop is Rich Mullins. And this essay tells us why. He was unflinchingly real. I hope he made it to the Big Show, because he seems like my kind of guy. I promise you, if you didn't know he was a Jesus freak, the music will not give it away by itself, like this guy says. And when you sing to me, I have to believe you. If I don't, who cares what it's about? This is your official Digression Warning.

I have been on a Kenny Loggins kick for a week now. Leap Of Faith. Remember when I said I'd listen to it multiple times? Yeah, about that...I'm obsessed. I am on a quest to figure out why. This is the best I can do: whatever that hippie is singing about, I believe him. He could be singing about the glories of pineapple chunks, and I'd be like, "Darn right, Kenny! I love pineapples!"

Derek Webb, by contrast? I could care less. Why? Because he's preachy, in that prideful, possibly secretly guilty of something sort of way. Theological Rant Warning.

"I am a whore I do confess/I put you on just like a wedding dress and I/Run down the aisle..." Remember that? In fairness, let's say, he doesn't view this as a good thing. But frankly, this is imputed righteousness in a nutshell. As soon as you desire to actually be holy, because something inside of you knows you should, (even if this is already affirmed in your theology) you're on the road to Rome. The only consistent thing to do in Reformed theology is to ignore your sinfulness. If you are declared righteous for the sake of Christ, God can't even see your sinfulness, much less require you to change it, under penalty of damnation. The whole section in Chapter XV of the WCF is a waste of breath, if imputed righteousness is true. But if the subjective experience of sin actually points to a real conflict with the holiness of God that demands satisfaction, then Chapter XI is false. And that'll lead you right out of the Reformation, I'm telling you. Because either your feelings are lying to you (Satan accusing you falsely, in which case, ignore them) or not, in which case, TE Johnny-Bob was wrong to go on and on about the "finished work of Christ" yadda yadda. Historical Continuity Bonus: What if the original people who came up with the idea of justification by faith alone were not actually the Church? No, really. Try not to die. In terms of that deposit with which someone has been entrusted, would the doctrinal content itself change, depending on the holiness or lack thereof of the one who proposed it? [No, but it makes it harder to accept.--ed.] Amen, I hear you. So here's the upshot, though: corrupt authorities have nothing whatsoever to do with the truth value of doctrine x. It either came from Christ, or it did not. A moral protest of lament over sin does not become a doctrinal revolution unless someone is pulling a fast one, or the Church's doctrine had always been false. In which case, Christ has failed us. (Let's piously rule that last one out, shall we?) What is the Church? Where is it? Are you sure you're in it? How do you know?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar