Skip to main content

Thinking Out Loud

This merits some reflection. On the other hand, before the anti-"capitalism" forces get too pleased with themselves, how much is too much? Who gets to decide? What gives the social teaching its reality, its practicality? What keeps the social teaching from being a bunch of platitudes, spouted by amateurs, determined to appear "above the fray?" If you think that sounds harsh, just keep in mind that 1) I'm a Catholic, determined to keep the teaching so far as I'm able; and 2) the questions will be just as direct from the economists, and the non-Catholics. Paging David Anders!

The science of economics was created to try to deal with the problem of scarcity. We have to assume several things because of the social teaching as I understand it at this point: 1. the right of private property is real, but not absolute; 2. there is such a thing as "distributive justice," such that massive inequities of wealth are an injustice to him who has little; 3. socialism is wrong. I'm already inclined already to agree with (3), but I guess I need to know more about why, beyond the snarkily obvious point that loads of people tend to end up dead. Because it certainly seems that someone with charge of the common good could, in the name of that good, simply decide to dispossess Bob the Banker and whomever else in the name of "distributive justice," and get a pat on the back while they do it. We're right back where we started.

Thankfully, that raving socialist, F.A. Hayek, (full sarcasm on) said that a system of social insurance was not incompatible with markets. OK, then. Let's take a step back, and recall that the construction of that system here in the US gains its explicit sanction from "promote the general welfare" in the preamble to the US Constitution. Just for fun, I'm gonna take the whole preamble as an affirmation of Natural Law, and the specific quoted phrase to be synonymous with "common good." If you have any intense objection to that, let me know. But it would seem that without that, we can't define the salutary words. Look at the plain meaning: They established this Constitution and nation to secure those salutary goods, which must have been in existence before this nation existed. And they couldn't name them if they derived their existence from the government itself. So, right there, some kind of positivism is dead on arrival. On the other hand, look at the other obvious implication: A law is presumed just as long as it's consistent with the Natural Law, and in accord with the Constitution, even if it's a horrible idea that has tons of really unpleasant side effects no one saw coming. That stings a bit, eh? But I guess we'd better decide whether Social Security does what its name says, or it's a reward program. (in other words, an entitlement) My view: It's a program for the general welfare. As such, means-test it, yes. I don't care if that's "liberal." If you're gonna use government coercion, make sure you're not wasting it. Everybody should have understood that it really was a wealth-transfer program. Are people so massively dumb that they need to be dispossessed for a mandatory savings program? Of course not. One word: Lockbox. And if we do allow younger people to eventually invest a portion of their Social Security taxes, it must be with the explicit understanding that they do so at their own risk, and with instruments and a program that is distinct. Common good is common good; Uncle Sam doesn't owe you squat. I digress.

It seems to me, therefore, that the first duty of a public official is to preserve the means of social insurance, to see that the system of free exchange is just for the participants, and is conducive to the good of all, and uphold morality for the good of all. A big responsibility, and not exactly conducive to simplistic characterization.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...