Skip to main content

The Worst Evil

If you listen closely to the arguments of our modern/post-modern "enlightened" society, you may hear a lot of talk of "dignity." "Death with dignity." That the good life should be free of hardship. "This baby won't have the kind of life she deserves." Let's think it through, shall we? Camera 3.

[Turns] You're saying that the worst of all possible evils is pain and suffering. Strip it down, that's what you're saying. But this is wrong. To suffer, and to suffer well, is to hold a mirror to injustice, to make the evildoer look upon the innocence that he transgresses, to ask him if he can continue it. We'll come back to this.

No, the greatest evil is not suffering, but death itself. To die, never to live again. Even worse, to live a life unworthy of goodness, unworthy of a human being. There is good done in this world. We know it: The man who carries groceries for an elderly neighbor. The Army squad leader who falls on a grenade to save his comrades. We know it, and all the obfuscation and chatter that the meanings are arbitrary can't hide it from our hearts.

Largely, we still have a sense of evil, on a grand scale. Hitler was evil. Stalin. Too many others to name, even while quiet genocides happen right before our eyes with hardly a word of protest.

I'm going to ask you this: Could it be that acts of great love and great evil, that so easily stir us at their mere mention or recounting, be simply the footnotes to lives that begin and end in a short breath of time, and are no more? What does kindness or cruelty matter, if we are dust, and there is no one to keep the ledger? Our forefathers surely would laugh at our moral outrage at their many sins, if indeed there is no God. We will be as dead as they in time, and no one will come to our defense.

No, the greatest evil is to live unworthily, to live for oneself, to live in evil. And to never seek pardon from Him who holds life and death in His hands. Even to live well, but without Him, is to be praised by dust, who will fall silent themselves.

But He does keep a ledger; He does know. And when He judges, He will judge justly, for God shows no partiality. Christ Jesus died, taking death on Himself, our sins which carry the sentence of eternal death and suffering. When He rose,--this is the meaning--Love is greater than death. It endures. Mercy triumphs over justice. But mercy is not given where it is not sought.

No, the greatest indignity against any and every man is Death. But the reward for the life truly well-lived is given by the just Judge: eternal life, and the resurrection of the body from the dead.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You, my son, are an incredible writer! Mom

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...