Skip to main content

World Vision Is Not The Problem, Part IV (Dan Haseltine)

I really appreciate this from Dan Haseltine. And...I told you so. It really is about Sola Scriptura. Here's Dan:


"I care about what scripture says. It matters.


The second round of poorly chosen words surrounded the clarity of scripture. I was trying to communicate that although we often say, “Scripture is clear about this or that,” the very fact that so many people disagree or have alternate perspectives or interpretations of scripture, means that we have to move beyond simply quoting a scripture to prove our point. We have to dig into the scripture and help translate it and offer context. Simply quoting a scripture can stall out a good honest dialogue.






But what I wrote was:






“Never liked the phrase: “Scripture clearly says…(blank) about…”


Because most people read and interpret scripture wrong, I don’t think scripture “clearly” states much of anything regarding morality.”

Did you catch that? He might as well say, "The interpretive crisis caused by the allegedly perspicuous Scriptures is so deep, I don't know what to do." And he doesn't. I don't blame him. Do you really think Rachel Held Evans woke up yesterday and said, "I think I'll deny Christ today"? Tim Dukeman may think so; I don't. Rather, I think the center of this whole Protestant project relies on consensus, or the fabrication of one. When it breaks down, look out. Poor Dan found out at least a little that the conservative evangelical consensus is still strong enough to cause him problems. But it will go with the culture eventually. The Bible does not say what nations should do with people who practice homosexuality and want to imitate a family. (Nor what nation-states owe to Natural Law.) But the Natural Law does. The social doctrine does, though. Ditto for things like contraception, abortion, and a bunch of other things.

The only thing that makes Rachel Held Evans a pariah in the evangelical community is that she's reliably and predictably progressive politically. And with no binding social doctrine, she therefore fits and flows with the zeitgeist on most things. That makes her easy to dismiss. The other Protestant evangelicals can preen comfortably, because it's not immediately obvious (to them) that they can't distinguish between revelation and human opinion, either. (Or, aren't even trying.)

Come home now, before you don't even recognize yourself, and Christ within you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...