Skip to main content

95 Theses, Continued

6. The pope himself cannot remit guilt, but only declare and confirm that it has been remitted by God; or, at most, he can remit it in cases reserved to his discretion. Except for these cases, the guilt remains untouched. My comment: Did you catch that "declare and confirm"? This is fully-formed Protestant denial of the sacramental economy right here. On the contrary, the necessity of Holy Orders given in apostolic succession is because grace must be mediated through the Church. Even in extraordinary cases, God's mercy has an ecclesial dimension.

7. God never remits guilt to anyone without, at the same time, making him humbly submissive to the priest, His representative. My comment: God does not "make" anyone do anything. If Luther is denying the possibility that contrition may be imperfect, (that is, from fear of punishment) or even non-existent, and that the priest has the right and the duty not to absolve in the latter case, he's flatly wrong.

8. The penitential canons apply only to men who are still alive, and, according to the canons themselves, none applies to the dead. My comment: Frankly, I have no idea what this complaint is. It feels like he's laying the groundwork to deny Purgatory altogether.

9. Accordingly, the Holy Spirit, acting in the person of the pope, manifests grace to us, by the fact that the papal regulations always cease to apply at death, or in any hard case. My comment: This is exactly backwards. It is precisely in a "hard case" that the Pope has his full power as Vicar of Christ.

10. It is a wrongful act, due to ignorance, when priests retain the canonical penalties on the dead in purgatory. My comment: If a priest ever actually said this, he's wrong. Maybe Luther should have been in the parish catechizing, instead of lecturing the Pope. Never mind. With theology like in (6), the faithful wouldn't know anything.

Comments

You might want to comment on the Heidelberg Disputation Theses instead (from 1518). While the 95 theses are better known, the latter better encompass the whole of Luther's theology, including his biting attack on Biel. It'd be interesting to try to critique Luther from the only shared common ground (Scripture).

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Dear Alyse

 Today, you’re 35. Or at least you would be, in this place. You probably know this, but we’re OK. Not great, but OK. We know you wouldn’t want us moping around and weeping all the time. We try not to. Actually, I guess part of the problem is that you didn’t know how much we loved you. And that you didn’t know how to love yourself. I hope you have gotten to Love by now. Not a place, but fills everything in every way. I’m not Him, but he probably said, “Dear daughter/sister, you have been terribly hard on yourself. Rest now, and be at peace.” Anyway, teaching is going well, and I tell the kids all about you. They all say you are pretty. I usually can keep the boys from saying something gross for a few seconds. Mom and I are going to the game tonight. And like 6 more times, before I go back to South Carolina. I have seen Nicky twice, but I myself haven’t seen your younger kids. Bob took pictures of the day we said goodbye, and we did a family picture at the Abbey. I literally almost a...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...