Skip to main content

S.L. Whitesell, Making Sense

"The alarming question is how we are at a point where a federal bureaucrat decides whether a Christian university can conduct its affairs according to its organizing principles." And that's my general sense of the thing. The burden of proof is on the government to show why its interests are sufficient to override an inalienable right, and, in fact, the first and highest duty of humankind. In the classical way of thinking, rights always come with duties. A person doesn't have the right to an abortion, because there is no corresponding duty that the exercise of that right serves or facilitates. Indeed, abortion (for example) represents a failure of justice, the duty of a mother to her child.

Christians (and others) are losing the battle because the buzzword is "rights" instead of "duties." And we're losing rights even while we talk incessantly about them. Mary Ann Glendon is right about that. Consequently, a viciously positivistic conception of law has taken hold, and its only currency is power. 

This is highly useful. At the end of the day, we have two competing views of totalizing reality. The huge problem is that, whether talking about nature or the supernatural, there's only one reality. A person made for an ultimately spiritual end who gets "religious" about the stuff of Earth is more dangerous than an army of fire and brimstone preachers, and almost infinitely so, the nightmares of  secular leftists notwithstanding.

Today we talk about "freedom" in only one sense: the freedom from coercion. But there are others. There is the freedom to do something, like write this blog post. But any freedom to do something only serves a freedom for something, like peace, justice, loving God, et cetera.

Food for thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...