Skip to main content

The Cross

Most Christians can talk a good game about the cross of Christ. They will say that it is the reason for their confidence, the forgiveness of their sins, and the like. This is mostly to the good. Yet there is a reason why the whole matter is called by the Church "the paschal mystery." It is forgiveness, the confluence of the covenants, the joining of a people, the realization of long-awaited hope. It is much more than we are able to say.

Let me ask this question: Does God love you? Does God love us? I ask it because I remember when I used to see in the Cross only pardon, toleration, a bemused and distant acceptance, and only for a few of us, at that. It was impersonal, and no matter what we'd say to massage it, it had to be: When God the Father looks at me, he doesn't see me; He sees Christ, or so it went.

But now I see something else. I see in that cross true good news for me. For you. Jesus preaches that gospel from His throne on that cross: This is how much I love you. This is how far I will go. The just for the unjust, with no hesitation. He did not wait, and he does not. The cross does not tell the story of wrath turned away for an undeserving yet arbitrary few; it tells the story of our hatred toward Him turned back, swallowed in unending mercy.

The wrath of God will indeed be terrible, but only because the most affectionate appeal has already been made from the mountain of Calvary. Jesus Himself said, "And after I am lifted up, I will draw all men to myself." No one who preaches it has more to say but, "Look!" Or, if you like, "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...