Skip to main content

I'm With Burke (Mostly)

But this is a good point. Orthodoxy has never really been under siege. Not really. Here's the truth, from a quasi-outsider: You assumed if it was Catholic, it came with the worldview. This is why every pagan in the Church says, "You can't tell me anything! I went to Catholic school for 12 years!"

Introduce them to God. The things of the Church can help, but there is no substitute for true conversion. There is no attitude or program that can fix the real problem, which is sin.

If it were my decision to make, there'd be no altar girls, because it's theologically and sacramentally confusing. I'm not going to die on that hill, however. This is why I'm inclined to yell at "traditionalists" as much as anybody else: You can't just yell, "Novus Ordo!" or "Communion in the hand!" or "Altar girls!" and think you've done your duty. You haven't done anything but declared your tribe in a pointless family spat. That's right, pointless. There is a world out there who doesn't give a [expletive] about obscure liturgical rules, and "reverence" applies to people like their Dads (hopefully) or John Wayne. (Tom Brady?)

Underneath all the crap, people are asking three questions: 1. Who is God? 2. Who am I? 3. What are we doing here? If you can't answer that, just go home. But understand, the crap is pretty powerful. Someone somewhere is Googling swimsuit models, pounding beers, eating too much, chasing money, etc. Yes, it's an illusory happiness, but the truth is, it's more real than the gnawing sense that I'm alone in this world. People don't feel bad about that stuff, because it makes them happy. At least for a short time.

You have to give people a reason to change their definition of happiness. If you are a humorless scold, you're not converting squat. Real holiness changes you. People say, "He's not like us, but he's got something I want." Most people who think they are warring against modernism and the forces of darkness in the Church are just the older brother in the parable of the wayward son; they aren't sinners, but they have no joy.

Pope Francis has joy. Real joy, nearly all the time. It's not my job to criticize all of his inartful statements. In fact, I think it is my job to find out why the freaks and weirdos of society flock to him like a magnet. Give me whatever that is. Give me joy, Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...