Skip to main content

With These Our Hells And Our Heavens

In a way, we're not all that different. The most wicked person you know and the best have nothing between them but this: the good man correctly apprehends his situation. He knows that he is but dust; he seeks God's mercy continually; he responds to the graces given him as he becomes aware. The wicked are not so.

They think their good name is written in the stars; they think they owe nothing to anyone; they think they have been put upon, that people owe them affection and accolades, respect and deference.

The just man sees the distance between himself and true holiness, and, by God's grace, strives to make tomorrow better than today.

Have you ever dreamed of your children, if you have yet to have any? I have. I know some truly great men; I have watched their children praise them at the city gates; the emotion of the thing will melt you into a puddle.

But you can't get there in a day. I learn each day that those fathers and mothers made a thousand little choices each day. They humbled themselves, they prayed, they asked for forgiveness; they gave it.

You can't take anything for granted, if you want to be a saint, if you want to be holy. There is no autopilot for justice, for goodness. I cannot make myself good, in my own power. But I can unmake myself. I can destroy what divine mercy and love has built. I can treat those gifts as rubbish to be discarded.

Please, O Lord, let me not think I deserve what you have given, from the smallest good, to eternal life. Don't let me go too far from You; may Your mercy be ever new. May you make me a blessing to others, as a praise to Your Name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...