Skip to main content

Mass Is Mass

It really isn't my place to decide (or yours) that the "New Mass" isn't as good as the "Old Mass." It just isn't. The "Old Mass" isn't even old! The bygone ancient days of 1962! O woe to the Church in America! Whatever shall we do?

You have a right to demand that we celebrate Mass according to the liturgical rubrics. We have the right and the duty to strive to worship with the most sacred music we are capable of producing. I actually believe that. If we're not doing this, or working toward it, we are tolerating liturgical abuse and mediocrity.

But here's what I don't believe: I don't believe Vatican II is a swear-word. I don't believe I need to play word-games, deciding what is "dogmatic" and what is "pastoral," then deciding I can ignore the latter. I don't pine for the "good ol' days." I just got here; I think this is the greatest Church ever, because it is. Not because we are so awesome, (we aren't) or that ideas don't have consequences (they do) or that pastoral decisions are always wise (definitely not). Christ founded the Church, though, and He has been protecting it all this time. Did that change when I fell asleep last night? I thought not.

You love the Latin Mass; good for you! Don't make it an idol. Worship Christ, who is present in every Eucharist. Certain "traditionalists" think that as long as they don't form a schism, they can nurture infidelity in their hearts. Guess what? When you essentially pretend that Vatican II didn't happen, when you judge others (including the bishops) who don't feel it necessary to join you at TLM, that's exactly what you are doing. I'm calling you out; I hope it makes you mad.

But JK is done being nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...