Skip to main content

On The Tongue, Thanks

As in, "How JK would prefer to receive Holy Communion." I wish I could tell you I had some pious reason for that, but no. I am more confident in the functioning of my mouth than my hands. Then again, not wanting to drop the Lord is a pious reason.

I do not take the chalice, unless charity has required it. That is, recently, a dear woman was so forward about serving me that it seemed right to do it. I am not at all confident that liquids will go where they should, even on my very best day. People might ask, "What is it really like, to have a severe physical disability?" This is my best attempt to describe it: Consider for the moment if you had to think about every movement of your body before you made it. What if you were simply used to not being able to move certain ways at all? Realize that a random twitch, spasm, or tightness could completely foil what you are trying to do, even if you've done it the same way hundreds of times. You'd have to be ready for almost anything to happen, and frankly, to accept it with grace. Like anybody, I like to do things myself when possible. The reality is, I don't do anything as quickly as I'd like. Nothing. I still am reminded of this all the time. I try not to scream at the sky when something goes wrong, but that is a work in progress, depending on the situation. A dear friend was telling me he admired my patience. It's not patience; it's the (forced) redefinition of annoyances or inconveniences. Taking 10 minutes to put on a shirt is merely annoying; getting stuck somewhere (hopefully free of pain) is awful. That is rage mixed with fear and whatever else. Three minutes extra in the McDonald's parking lot waiting for hot fries doesn't even register. I digress.

Did you know that the Council fathers ["Council Fathers" seems weird, yet correct.--ed.] of Vatican II did not envision Holy Communion under both species as terribly common for the laity? Vatican II did not change anything like that. They want us to recall the faith of the Church: That Christ is present--body, blood, soul, and divinity--in either. The passionate Protestant objection that the chalice was denied the laity proceeds from unbelief in the Real Presence! Stew on that for awhile! I'm not missing anything. Aside from reasons of piety (avoiding spillage) I should desire to exercise as much faith as I am able. Do I believe what the Church teaches me? You'll find out, if health or prudence demands receiving one or the other. Every time a "Communion" story makes national news, I think, "If these people held the faith of the Church, this is a non-story." And that makes me sad and angry every time.*

*Or in conduct of life, when Communion is denied for manifest grave sin.

I suppose the ubiquity of the chalice for the laity is a big plus, given the apparent relative commonality of gluten-related problems. Yet low-gluten wafers/Hosts are now common, also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...