Skip to main content

Another Self

I have a friend who is leaving. He goes in obedience, for the sake of the gospel. He isn't simply the son of his parents, the one who hitchhiked/went on pilgrimage across Europe, the one whose infectious joy spreads like wildfire, the one who has distinguished himself academically as a leader among the learned. He is also ontologically changed by having received the sacrament of Holy Orders. He is a figure of Christ among us. In this way, it sounds absurd to say he is my friend. He has given much more to me than I to him, and in an all-too-brief time.

And yet, because we share the hope of eternal life, professing the faith of the Apostles, animated by the Holy Spirit's gift of supernatural charity, we are friends indeed, in the deepest possible sense. "There's a loyalty that's deeper than mere sentiment, and a music higher than the songs that I can sing," sang another friend, and he's right.

Benson gave us Fr. Percy, and the troubled Fr. Francis to show us this power of telos, to unite or to finally keep apart. If there is no faith, or the stirrings of it, there is no friendship in this deep sense, although we could use the sentimentality of politeness in greater measure, I think.

In any case, though soon I will not be blessed with my friend's presence, charity is like a bridge across the ocean. He'll be as near as God, present, yet unseen.

Thank you, dear brother. Be assured of my prayers and warmest love.

Comments

Unknown said…
I loved this! This is CB from the IPT BTW. :)
Jason said…
I know. It gives your name. :)

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...