Skip to main content

What Do You See?

You could spend all your days inside the Catholic Church, and not see what you are supposed to see. You could spend all your days outside it, and see it clear as a mountain sky: God loves you.

That's what it's all for, you know. Love, in both directions.

I was gently reminded by some fellows and an angry (for now) ex-Catholic that the Church teaches that you can "fall out of grace," as it were. Well and good. I didn't protest that phrasing because I am unaware of the dogmatic definitions of the Council of Trent (of happy memory). I protested because of the fear in the whole thing. Man, if I believe in the sacraments of holy mother Church and in their power, isn't this basically saying that God didn't love me when...

With love, you buffoon! You may find out that you're worse than you think you are. Welcome to the gospel. If you find yourself falling into the same sin over and over, the only possible explanation is that you and me don't fully understand, at the level of our souls, how deeply God loves us.

That's why at a certain level, talking about falling out of grace is absurd. What could you do, that his love cannot reach you? Leave the fairly arcane discussions of merit and the like to one side. Isn't it obvious we need to answer that question?

How much freedom would you find if you began to approach the Sacrament of Reconciliation saying, "I know He loves me; that's why I'm here"? I could be nuts, but I don't think God, who gave us His only-begotten Son, has it out for us.

It's not Monday any more, is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...