Skip to main content

Codes, Whistles, And The Stubborn Impatience Of Bigotry

I used to get mad when political liberals accused conservatives of bigotry and racism. I felt something  very close to rage when I read books in college littered with that accusation. We Republicans have a narrative as equally compelling to us as that of any Democrat's. We deplore bigotry in all its forms. Still, the beginning of the fight against "political correctness" was actually about masking political arguments as factual ones, and using whatever power that was available to silence dissenting views offered in good faith and goodwill.

Now, some vociferous non-progressives--for they do not appear to be conserving anything--deplore "political correctness" as anything that does not confirm them in whatever they happen to already believe. Ignorance masquerades as courageous free thought, for those who lack the character and humility to tell the difference.

Let me "tell it like it is," in the form of a question: Have we as conservatives been reflexively reacting against liberal intolerance so long that we can't see real stupidity and hate when it's staring us in the face? If you actually were an intellectually incurious, ignorant, provincial bigot, how could you tell? Or is the New York Times always wrong, by definition?

I'm just asking.

Donald Trump is going to become the Republican nominee for president, precisely because he approximates, or actually is, a moderately educated, bigoted, aggrieved white person. You can sense it, if you think back to the fear you felt when you figured out what liberal Massachusetts has in common with conservative Mississippi. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio made plenty of mistakes, and fair enough. The truth is, though, young Hispanic immigrants aren't going to catch the breaks, no matter how well and consistently they advocate for things people say they want. That isn't what they really wanted. They wanted the "good old days" back, with a minimum of fuss. At least for the people like them.

If you've been left behind, you'll believe anything that tells you it's not your fault. Especially if you have an almost unfathomable ability to avoid introspection. Trump could promise to build the starship Enterprise in a week, and some people would believe it. As long as he also promised not to hire any immigrants to do it.

Well, I'm not going to pretend that it isn't that simple, even if some progressives get to take some sanctimonious victory laps as a result. Heaven help us, and President-elect Hillary Clinton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...