Skip to main content

A Night Of Rain

It's been raining often here for weeks. I had that semi-serious thought all semi-liberals and liberals have, that if it's raining this much this late into December, we've really done a number on our climate system. This isn't Florida; we have snow here.

Anyway.

While I usually love rain, because it reminds me of the waters of baptism, I'm getting a little sick of it. Last night, I thought it was starting to really get to me, and then I remembered the storms were in my soul. I went to Confession. Admittedly, I went to another priest, because although I can't quite figure out how not to break the heart of God, I didn't want to break Father's heart. Not yesterday.

I had another image for rain that came to mind: tears. Heaven knows I have had enough of those. Rain is a plot device in many stories. Writers got together and decided that "It was a dark and stormy night" is a terribly ham-handed way to start a story, and a sloppy way to convey sadness or foreboding. How'd we let the maker(s) of Blade Runner get away with that?

I'm pretty sure I don't have Seasonal Affective Disorder, but if this keeps up, all bets are off.

When the Scriptures tell us about the times before the Flood, the Lord says plainly, "I am grieved that I have made man on the earth." This of course brings up as many questions as it answers, one of which is, "How does a perfect, simple Being experience this?" And granted that us being told all this in our baby-talk that is human language doesn't possibly exhaust the reality of whatever this means, it is a mystery.

Water, in the mind of the Jewish people who received this story, was more than a bit dangerous and threatening. The sea symbolized destruction, great distance, and the goyim, the Gentile heathen who were not them.

That's part of why "the land" was so prominent: it was a promise from God, and it was not "the water."

Isn't it so that water reveals our vulnerability, our smallness? I was in the rain last night, and I thought about just how pitiable we are. Here one day, and gone the next.

And yet, a great saint says all our sins are but one drop of water, burned up in the consuming fire of God's love.

It is altogether fitting that baptism should be in water, and that it pictures dying, and rising again. Christ, in a way, mocks death in His victory. We will mock it also when we rise, though we die. St. Paul mocks death, saying, "O Death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting?" This will be our song at the last resurrection, much like the song of Miriam, when Israel crossed the Red Sea on dry land, while their pursuers were lost to the waves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...