Skip to main content

Disabled Sexuality, Not An Oxymoron

Yes, it exists. I'm starting to own it. Took me long enough. There is of course an idolatry of sex, and an idolatry of "normal" or "able," and I have been guilty of both at times.

"If I don't end up with a normal girl, then I'll never be totally me, or attain my goal."

"I don't want a disabled girl."

Both of these are false, properly speaking. There is the mystery of chastity, and I have discovered a wonderful thing: You can't really properly order your sexuality, integrating it into the whole of your being, unless and until you acknowledge it is there, and that it's really not that different than anyone else's.

All this being said, some of you are quite aware that I have not seen fit to limit my romantic aspirations to the disabled. Ahem. Honestly, I hope it makes someone uncomfortable, so that I have someone to share the awkwardness with!

Seriously though, you might consider why it makes you uncomfortable, if it does. You may want to sit down for this.

Everything works.

I'm saying this here and now, so I don't have to be crude at bars and parties. As far as I know, there's no reason why I couldn't marry validly in the Catholic Church. [Aside from the fact that you don't go to bars or parties.--ed.] So true.

There was a badly deformed guy for whatever reason--I can't recall his disability--who used a prostitute to feel "whole." I don't recommend that, but I understand it. Oh, boy, do I understand it! I think like many other disabled people, we experience a lack of touch in general. I wonder if people are thinking they're going to catch something? Anyway, that's weird.

I probably just committed some heinous faux pas with "badly deformed." Oh, well. I guess I should say that actually, I am looking forward to the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Which is not to say that I'm sad about my body, or its limitations. It's just that I appreciate all the things you "ABs" can do with yours. I have the soul of an athlete, absolutely. Had I started earlier, I definitely think I would have been involved in several wheelchair sports.

Where I think activists are going off the wheelchair ramp, so to speak, is that sexual sin is sin. As much as I can appreciate the "freedom" of fornication, in the sense that a fully sexual body has been acknowledged and seen in some way, it's still well short of what God is calling us to.

Truthfully, I have no idea how I would handle being a faithful Catholic with multiple children, as a person with a disability. Then again, everyone is terrified of parenthood. I have decided to stop being any more terrified than anyone else.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...