Skip to main content

The Supernatural Is The Most Real

You can scan the news any time; the most obvious conclusion, though not necessarily helpful, is, "Everything is terrible." Sin, tragedy, alienation, death, and destruction are just a typical Friday.

I was praying a Chaplet of Divine Mercy last night for a guy with cancer I heard about. The Chaplet is an amazing prayer. And as I started to think about what we were saying, it bowls me over still. Father, we plead the all-sufficient merit of Your Son. If that won't help us, nothing will.

If you're suffering, I can't tell you how to feel that, or to get through it. I do know that I am not afraid of dying. I was kind of taunting the devil after a fashion in prayer the other day, in that it came to me in this way: What's the worst you can do to me, kill me? Do you understand, my friends? Our souls are eternal. These bodies will die, but we will not.

It sneaks up on some people, because of the pride of life. The evil one loves death in this world, because it hurts us and distracts us. We're separated from our loved ones, touched by grief to our very core. We know it's brutal and horrible, because Jesus wept for Lazarus his friend who died, knowing he'd raise him from the dead in the next moment. Death is so wrong that Jesus Himself couldn't endure it for two minutes, for all we know. Think on that. Yeah, you should cry. What else would you do?

Sin really is a confession of belief of life in this world only. This is why wicked sinners either avoid funerals, or turn them into parties. Belief in the general, bodily resurrection is dangerous, you see. We're all taking a risk, you know. Any one of us could be a goat, when he sorts the whole thing out. The last thing I want to do is frighten you inordinately, but my main point is, look Jesus in the eye and level with him now. There is no second exit interview.

Amy Madigan plays "Annie," the wife of "Ray," in the film Field of Dreams, a gospel story where the Good News is baseball. Ray is trying to decide whether to follow supernatural promptings, and in an effort to stop him, she says, "...we could lose this farm." Since I've seen it a hundred times, I can tell you, that line rings a little hollow, like her heart's not in it, or that the antagonists, supernatural or otherwise, are simply offering, "C'mon, be practical!" Ray sees through it, and so does Annie. The devil is like the bankers and Annie's brother, saying, "Wouldn't it be nice to stay here, be normal, and do what you like?"

It's not that the pleasures of this life have no reality at all, but they do make us forget that we are but a breath, and that how we live here is how we will live in the world to come.

The difference between mercy and "God as cosmic Oprah" (no offense) is that mercy draws us into making things right. It's pride that forgets and denies wrong. The mercy of Jesus is so powerful, because it changes enemies into friends. We can become agents of love and reconciliation, even if we have been agents of chaos and destruction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...