Skip to main content

Humor: Some Thoughts

I'll probably over-analyze this, as is my way. I think humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of seemingly contrary things, which forms an absurdity. Another aspect of humor is the intentional breaking of taboos, usually coupled with self-mockery or self-parody.

Many people are perplexed by various types of crude humor, but I have realized that it's only actually funny as a contrast, perhaps to the way we're expected to behave in most places of our lives. Even the tolerance for that kind of thing is a matter of taste.

If we're crude all the time, crude humor doesn't shock or surprise. I think the unexpected is a key ingredient of humor. I still haven't watched a whole lot of the TV show Seinfeld. I know, I need to do that. That comedy works, because we have expectations about how decent people are supposed to conduct themselves. None of the erstwhile protagonists are flagrantly evil, in any sort of historic sense. Still, they consistently miss opportunities to do the little thing, which tends to mark beloved people out from the rest of us. I suppose in that way, the show can make us laugh, while teaching us about the good life. I remember seeing the final episode, and thinking it was quite funny. Then I had a fearful, self-accusing thought: I hope my particular judgment is not like the trial of those characters. We can laugh at it, because it was funny and none of the characters is real. Still, I have never wanted to be the guy everyone thinks is just okay, at best.

I continue to think about the interesting relationship between laughter, and sorrow. It sure seems like some of the funniest people who have ever lived are those who suffered greatly. Perhaps that is the appeal of nihilism, because one accepts the absurd as the steady-state of the universe. At that moment, you have two choices: despair or laughter. I never put much value in this so-called, "cheerful nihilism" that's going around. The point of laughing at the absurd is that the absurd is not actually the steady-state of the universe. How are you supposed to be cheerful, if there's no plan, and no point to anything?

Religion offers many opportunities for well-placed humor, but not of the kind that outsiders tend to think. Mocking God is always a bad idea, and mocking those in spiritual authority--human though they are--might even be worse. What's the saying? Always punch up, not down. And in that case, punching horizontally ends up a waste. I think the big part of humor in a religious context is the juxtaposition of faith, and the experience of the testing of that faith, with the awareness of all that is less than ideal. Strangely enough, this may also be the juxtaposition that produces a saint.

Lord, I'm trying not to laugh now, so I don't end up on the wrong end of one of your woes. There is a lot of sadness, isn't there? I hope it pays off, in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...