Skip to main content

I'm Not Known Especially For Warm Fuzzies, Anyway (The Limits Of Ecumenical Dialogue)

I agree with the Roman Catholic Church that it is the Church that Christ founded. That's what she teaches about herself; more fundamentally, that's what she believes about herself.
I suppose it could happen that a person becomes Catholic rashly, and is not entirely certain that they are submitting to the Church that Christ founded, and believing that what she teaches is revealed by God. Perhaps therefore, someone could leave without fault, and then return.
There is nothing which requires me to believe that some other set of truths is equally as good as that proclaimed by the Catholic Church. In fact, it would be an error for me to do so. Our graciousness and generosity toward those outside comes precisely from the reality of who Christ is, the certainty of the truth which He is.
My purpose, quite frankly then, is to remove the obstacles toward any one person's seeking full communion with the Catholic Church. Anything that we have in common I regard as a bridge to the realization of the Catholic Church as the true home of all Christians. I do not celebrate what we have in common simply for the sake of its celebration; rather, any appreciation that I have is in some sense the means to an end. I have a definition of "ecumenical dialogue" that is as follows: ecumenical dialogue is dialogue concerning the content of revealed truth, for the purpose of reaching agreement in that truth.
I was thinking about this in regard to someone who told me that they grew up Catholic, and are now Reformed. I appreciate a lot about Reformed theology; I used to live in those communities, obviously. There is a lot that is true. There is even more truth in some communities, and in particular Churches separated from us. But I cannot simply celebrate what we have in common, and not work to overcome where we disagree. In fact, it would be dishonest for me--even a bit patronizing--for me to pretend that it is I who must change my mind, if what I believe about the Catholic Church is actually true.
I haven't wasted too much time worrying about whether this makes me "extreme," because the truth is often extreme in comparison to what is false. That being said, I do not intend to trample upon anyone's conscience, and they are free consequently to believe whatever they judge to be correct. However, it seems to me that some people have an idea about "dialogue" which means that I have to be neutral about where it goes, and where it ends. It's almost as if the dialogue is the end, rather than the means to another end.
In saying all this, I am often ironically imagined to be some sort of hippie relativist, perhaps because sometimes I am easier on outsiders than I am my own brethren inside the Catholic Church.
In the end,--in all directness--I'll probably be less warm and fuzzy toward Rod Dreher or Chris Castaldo than I would be toward someone moving in the opposite direction; that is, toward me and toward the Catholic Church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...